Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 crank, but no start, good fuel pump and new CPS

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default 95 crank, but no start, good fuel pump and new CPS

Alright guys, I've got quite the odd issue going on. I've been working on it for weeks now and I'll let you know what I've found out. When I turn the key, it cranks, but doesn't start. I hear the fuel pump prime, so that's okay, and I've got good fuel pressure at the rail so I know the lines not clogged. I replaced the Crankshaft sensor so that's not the problem either. I had issues with the auto shutdown fuse and relay in the fuse box under the hood, but that's all fixed and everything is getting power. There's power all the way to the plugs but for some reason it's not starting. This is where it get's confusing. Most of the time it doesn't start, but then sometimes it will start, but idol incredibly poorly, so I turn it off, and others it will start with an okay idle, and check engine light, so I turn it off. and other times it starts up fine and idles okay with no check engine light. I've run the codes for the light that pops up, and its for the aux fan or some pointless unhelpful info. Not really sure where to go from here. Since I use it to go to and from work, I need it to run, but I'm not sure as to why it sometimes runs, and sometimes doesn't. For days I thought it was a wiring problem people the wire for the 15 amp auto shutdown fuse was lose, and for a couple days whenever it wouldn't start I could mess with that wire until it got power, and it would start. but now has power all the time and still won't start. so I don't know where to look next. Any info would be great guys, thanks so much in advance!!