Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'95 Cherokee rear wiper motor component ID

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994.5
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 HO
Default '95 Cherokee rear wiper motor component ID

hello fellow Cherokee/Comanche owners ,

So, let me start by saying that , yes; I have searched this forum, Naxja as-well-as the Googles but I have not come across an answer or much help w/ this item specifically.
This is about the rear wiper on a 1995 Cherokee Country Upland which I bought new.

I have a brand new Omix-Ada rear wiper arm. I bought it last year to replace the arm that slung-off our beloved XJ somewhere around the 300,000 mile mark.
It is long overdue to be installed.

The reason I post is i cannot affix this new arm to my perfectly functional motor assembly due to a specific , seemingly insignificant , grommet-like bushing which has a gnarled edge (like a Synergy Mfg balljoint) and surrounds the pivot pin on the rear wiper motor assembly module. Mine does not have this on the threaded pin. Mine presently looks like this image shows...

My FSM refers to this pin as the "Pivot Pin" but makes no mention of the bushing which is vital to the attachment of replacement wiper arm.

It seems that along-with losing the arm itself my "pivot pin"s (blue arrow below image)toothed bushing(red arrow below) which allows securing the wiper-arm to the motor module was slung-off, was taken or is just missing.

Is the only way to acquire one of these small bushing/grommet/pivot-pin securing things to either [A] replace the entire motor module or [B] hit-up a junkyard/pull apart lot and try to find one which will , if they're this vital , most certainly will not be available...

How have you guys gone about any kind-of nifty workaround for those who've dealt with this?

I considered making my own . I am from Tennessee so I can whittle pretty well.
I considered cutting up a swaybar bushing and notching teeth into it but that would take some precision.
I even wondered if maybe a 3D printer could whip one up tho' it appears to be polyurethane or metal from the looks of it in the images. (I actually remember the thing back when it was on but looong ago it disappeared)

Thanks for any advice or thread links pointing to solutions you know about.

Last edited by J3ff3ry_J33pst3r; 02-08-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:52 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L

I believe you will need another wiper motor.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994.5
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 HO

wow.
The entire assembly is the only way of mounting this. I have to be able to make a fitting that can suffice to hold this on. Thank you for replying, @DonP

Old 02-09-2017, 06:01 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L

I think the spline is integral to the shaft. I can't remember if the unit comes apart to replace the drive shaft with a junk yard part.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Certainly you could rig up something! I'd be searching the local hardware for a bushing of similar size and doing something umm... creative? JB-weld... you my only friend
Old 02-09-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Recently I wanted to fix my super soaker on my back wiper (much fun as it was) However the lil nozzle for the fluid that comes out of the hatch was sheared flat leaving me nothing to reattach the hose to. I took a small nozzle off a can of butane gas. Used some aircraft grade super glue (perk of my profession) and bonded that baby in place.

Wallah clean back glass at my finger tips once again
Old 02-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

New or rebuilt, the shaft and its splined end piece come as an assembly.