Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 Cherokee cranks to rough idle then dies.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 95 Cherokee cranks to rough idle then dies.

Hello, my name is Bryan.

My girlfriend has a 95 jeep cherokee. While the jeep was driving fine there was a fues issue to notice:

- at random the jeep will drop RPM's, you could either wait for it to come back, or give it gas and then a second or two it will go back to normal.

- THEN THIS HAPPENED, in our apartment complex just about to park the vehicle started to sputter then died. Could not get the vehicle to start but would crank.

After researching all the options i started troubleshooting, here is what i have tried:

- Replaced fuel filter

- Replaced fuel pump

After installing the fuel pump and turned the key to the on position, i did hear the fuel pump turned on and then the vehicle started up and fuel pressure was sitting around 35-38. After about 10 seconds of celebrating the vehicle started loosing fuel pressure and ofcourse started sputtering and dies once more.

I turned the key to the on position and noticed i no longer hear the fuel pump prime. The vehicle did start back up but immediately started sputtering and dies. If the gas pedal is pressed it for a split second raises the rpm's but then makes the sputtering worse or die faster.

I did notice every time the battery is unplugged for a little time and plugged back in, it starts the problem all over to the beginning where it sounds beautiful for 10 seconds and displays the same result.

** vehicle does not have ballast resistor, forums for the ballast resistor sounds exactly like my problem.. but i dont have one.

HELP! Thanks, Bryan.