Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'95 Cherokee Country failed safety...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default '95 Cherokee Country failed safety...

...for exhaust leaks. I tried to JBWeld it together well enough to pass but obviously that didn't work. The shop wants $950 or so for a "header-back" complete replacement; the usual suspects (RockAuto, Amazon) are quoting about $400ish for the major parts (front pipe, cat, muffler, tailpipe).

Is this a job an average DIYer could do in the driveway, i.e., do I have to have a lift to replace all these parts? I know a lift would make it more convenient but is one a "must-have"? Anything else I should know about the job before deciding DIY vs shop?

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jeffhambone
...for exhaust leaks. I tried to JBWeld it together well enough to pass but obviously that didn't work. The shop wants $950 or so for a "header-back" complete replacement; the usual suspects (RockAuto, Amazon) are quoting about $400ish for the major parts (front pipe, cat, muffler, tailpipe).

Is this a job an average DIYer could do in the driveway, i.e., do I have to have a lift to replace all these parts? I know a lift would make it more convenient but is one a "must-have"? Anything else I should know about the job before deciding DIY vs shop?

Thanks!
You only need to replace what's not passable. Not (hopefully) the entire thing. Get a second opinion?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:18 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

I'd suggest you find a good repair shop that specializes in exhaust work. (a muffler shop) I found a really good one.. they showed me all the issues and gave me a few options for the repairs. I've taken my last 4 cars there and will continue to use them. They're happy to do free inspections and at least 3 times, they did a quick weld job at 'no charge'.. I'm not sure if it's a chain, but it is Budget Muffler, in case there's one in your area. I know all shops are not the same, but when you find a good one, you'll know it. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

I've found front pipes are hard to come by... But here's one made by Walker.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...gs+Best+Seller

This site normally offers promo codes, and free shipping.

For the cat, muffler, tailpipe... Check out Performance-curve.com

All in all, you can get a new exhaust well under $400. Mine is priced out at $220.00 roughly, and that's with a stainless manifold. Doing the job from the manifold back (leaving the current manifold), isn't difficult. You may need a hand saw if you have to shorten anything. Probably not though. Check with your state laws concerning motor vehicle inspection, exhaust.

Last edited by KJamesJR; 03-30-2012 at 12:28 PM.