Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 XJ crank no start w/ spark and ~ 28 psi fuel pressure (w/ and w/o vacuum line)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 94 XJ crank no start w/ spark and ~ 28 psi fuel pressure (w/ and w/o vacuum line)

Hi all, I could use some help! I've searched far and wide and haven't found any particularly useful threads.

About a week ago my jeep failed to start with about 1-2 gallons of gas left in the tank. I put 4 more gallons in and still nothing.

I have checked each spark plug and they all spark.

I was thinking that I might have sucked some gunk into the fuel lines/pump because there was not a lot of fuel coming out of the rail. I replaced the fuel filter and got substantially more fuel to come out of the rail, and the car finally started!! But it idled very roughly, sputtered white smoke from the tailpipe along with some liquid, accelerated (in park) to about 2500 rpm, and would not start again.

Today I did a fuel pressure test and got ~28 psi with AND without the vacuum line in. Pressure didn't change at all when pinching the fuel return line, and went up to ~31 psi when pinching the supply line.

So, could it be as simple as replacing the regulator? Do you think it could be the fuel pump?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am unsure what to do next.

Edit: Just got it to start twice. First time it idled a little rough at ~900rpm and second time started at 900 and rose to a constant ~2100rpm with some white smoke from the tailpipe; I turned off the car after about 2 minutes of 2100rpm and it does not start again. Opened hood and found that engine coolant had leaked (sprayed?) from the larger hose attached to the radiator and front of the motor. Not sure that it's related but thought it worth mentioning. Water dripping from front of motor as well. Got engine codes (OBD I) 12 and 22, 22 being "Engine coolant temperature sensor above or below acceptable voltage."; Probably extraneous information but, hey, you never know.