Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 xj 4.0 i6 Auxiliary Fan Relay / Overheating

Old 05-04-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default 94 xj 4.0 i6 Auxiliary Fan Relay / Overheating

hello jeepers,

back in WA for 3 months where the 94 xj 4.0 i6 is located.. last summer we drove it from WA to Vegas +/- 2500 miles and drove just fine except when we are in stop and go traffic the temperature shoots over 210F almost to 230F but we dont let it get that high. I noticed the auxiliary fan isnt coming on after reading on the forums this seems a common problem. The posts i read about the relay position seems right but the socket looks so different than the pictures i've seen am i on the right spot is this the right socket for the relay?.. the socket is not square like the Fuse Panel under the hood.. what am i looking at here ?? a special looking relay other than common ?

thanks Marc

i get 14volts on this socket as shown in the picture not sure if this voltage is associaded with the auxiliary fan

any suggestions would be appreciated thank you

Old 05-04-2017, 08:39 PM

here is a better shot at the empty socket which is located at the drivers side fender in front of the windshield water tank [edit] (correction the windshield water tank is NOT located here its on the passanger side of the firewall. the socket is in between the airbox and the drivers side fender). this is all new to me dont even have an auxiliary fan on my 88 xj AK

Last edited by LadyKenai; 05-04-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:42 PM

also i used my multimeter on the Fuse Panel under the hood and my meter beeps on every fuse
Old 05-05-2017, 12:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L, In Line 6

Check the fan itself. Run power direct to the connector of the fan. If it doesn't spins, then a bad fan. I had a problem similar. I replaced that temp sensor and it worked fine. Until then, I wired direct to the battery with a switch. Started the Jeep, then flipped on the switch. Fan ran all the time until solved the problem. i left the switch setup in place. Use it for smog. Turn on the fan during test.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Inside lid of pdc it shows relay and fuses. If you turn on ac does fan come on. Or unplug collant temp sensor does it come ? Also try tapping fan with some thing if it starts fans bad.....http://www.lunghd.com/Downloads_and_...t_breakers.pdf

Last edited by freegdr; 05-05-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:58 PM

I Just replaced my relay today, the picture LK posted doesn't look like mine, should have 4 blades on the relay. Same area, between airbox and fender. 4 wires going to it are orange, brown, black and red with white stripe.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....179929&jsn=401
NAPA pn ECH AR294-$15
Mine is an 89, yours may differ.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:29 PM

well, first thanks for your replies the pdc pdf was really helpful, found the relay and test it with a 9v batter and it comes on and off.. i would like to keep everything original and not run extra wires with a switch and just now i heard that someone has used this jeep while we were gone in AK and that made me check out other things and ive noticed only half of the radiator gets hot the hot coolant doesnt even reach the sensor yet to have the auxiliary fan kick in

so that is a set back that i didnt expect.. now im looking at a cooling problem.. top radiator hose gets hot half of the radiator is hot too so that makes me think the thermostat is ok. so im either looking at a glogged radiator or a broken water pump, the coolant is nice and green very clear looking im guessing now that if there would be a glogged radiator the coolant would atleast be discolored of the gunk somehow.. so my best guess is the water pump im not sure how to check the pump and make sure this is whats going on.

probably start the jeep and sqeeze the radiator hose and look for pressure, the bottom hose is really soft like there is no coolant.. hmm

ok im on a mission
Old 05-06-2017, 03:34 AM
CF Veteran

Coolant flows from bottom hose up thru motor out past sensor out of top hose into radiator . Bottom hose should be cooler than top as should radiator be cooler . Did ya turn on ac see if fan starts ?
Old 05-06-2017, 03:41 AM
CF Veteran

Default Troubleshooting

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/..._Diagnosis.htm
Old 05-06-2017, 04:21 PM

That is a great link, thanks a bunch!
Old 05-07-2017, 02:18 AM

ok

im putting in a new water pump and thermostat, i bought the 195F and later on called jeep dealer and they said this year jeep need a 180F so i got one of those aswell not sure which one to put in yet. right now still waiting for the return line tube the old one on the old waterpump the thread was totally messed up.

i will get back on the fan issue see how that works out.

thanks marc
Old 05-08-2017, 08:06 PM

ok, here is an update..

put in new water pump i got a nice flow now radiator gets hot all over from left to right.. i ended up putting the 180F thermostat in. we drove it for a little while about 3 miles pump and radiator very nice no leaks im happy about this.

now the temperature is fine while drive but when in idle the temperature goes over 210 heading towards 220 while this was going on i have my multimeter on the connector that feeds the auxiliary fan and i dont get any voltage at all on that connector. i also turned on the a/c like freegdr said and watched the meter and still no voltage at all.

ok now when i look at the pdf file freegdr gave me about the pdc you see that fuse number 15 is for the auxiliary fan and that shuold have a 20 amp

when you look at my second picture of my pdc on this post you see at the position fuse 15 should be i have 2 red wires sticking up and both taped off not connected together. i had removed the tape and looked at the red wires one of them the plastic is a bit black at the very end. im not sure what happened here its something the previous owner did.

i think im going to try and put a 20 amp fuse on these wires and see what i get.

also i wanted to note that while replacing the waterpump i had a good look at the radiator and i dont see a sensor on the radiator.

thanks marc

suggestion are welcome
Old 05-08-2017, 11:58 PM

the sensor i was looking was not located on the radiator but on the thermostat housing and i read somewhere on a tread that when you unplug the connector from the sensor the auxiliary fan should kick in almost immediately and thats what i did with the engine running no voltage on the connector that feeds the fan. :\
Old 05-10-2017, 05:28 PM

ive put a 20amp fuse on the lose wires and now when i unplug the coolant temperature sensor connector with the engine running the fan kicks in 3 seconds later. so my fan is good and the fuse and relays are ok, i had the jeep idle for a while and the temperature goes up over 210 but barely reaches 220F im not 100% sure when this fan should kick in automatically i would guess somewhere in between this degree ranch. also tried to turn on the a/c but nothing happens the auxiliary fan does not turn on and it seems like the a/c doesnt work its just cool air from the vents. im not sure where to go from here this is the first jeep we have with a/c and its all new to me how to trouble shot this. but im glad the fan is ok and the wiring circuit seem to work ok.

Last edited by LadyKenai; 05-10-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

If Ac is not functional fan will not operate. Unplugging CTS was next step as for idle and getting warm sounds like fan clutch is weak . Replacing it is a good idea. As for Ac could just be low on freon.

Last edited by freegdr; 05-12-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Search this Thread