Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 cherokee starts (sometimes) but wont stay running like you are turning the key off

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 liter
Unhappy 94 cherokee starts (sometimes) but wont stay running like you are turning the key off

So I have a 94 jeep cherokee. 4.0 liter inline six 4wd. It starts most of the time and turns off like you are turning the key but you really aren't. I put a new ignition sensor in it. A new fuel filter (it was clogged). New platinum spark plugs and cap and roder and newplug wires. I was going to time it but I can't find the diagnostics port. So I would like any ideas as to what is wrong with it and maybe where the heck my diagnostics port is because my grandpa is only here with his timing light until tomorrow morning. Any help is very much appreciated!

Sincerely, missing my jeep :'(
Old 08-03-2012, 12:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

There isn't a diagnostic connector on that vintage. The good news is you can read codes without any sort of scanner-
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm

When, exactly does it shut off? immediately? After idling a while? Does it start right back up? Any backfiring or other symptoms before it dies?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Yep, need a bit more info.Also does all your electric go dead too, like a full failure?
Silly but easy question/answer: Do you have an enigine immobiliser? Mine plays up every now and then, and does the same: starts up easy, then dies after 2 seconds. Has a bit a mind of its own.

So, any other symptoms?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Question

So figured out how to read the codes by counting the check engine light when it flashes and pauses and I got code 125155. 12 means it has been reset recently (I usually always take off the negative battery cable when I'm working on it), 51 means air/fuel at limit. Whether this means too much or not enough, I don't know but this has got to be my problem because I changed the fuel filter 2 days ago and it was pretty much clogged. 55 just means the end of message. Should I try the fuel pump? Some say because my filter was so clogged that the pump might have been working really hard to get it through but others say the car won't even start if the fuel pump is out. I think it could also be something with the ignition because it dies as if you were turning off the key. I just put a new ignition sensor in it 2 days ago and that didn't fix it. Please help. I'm a girl and I do all my own car work and I like to but I really have no idea here. :'( and it shuts off at different times. Sometimes it won't start all the way. I had it running for about 10 minutes. I give it gas and it dies then too. It dies while just sitting in neutral. I guess you could say it dies after you start it. I had my dad move it out of the way (about 10 feet) and it died like 4 times. Please help!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:57 AM

Also, the electrical stays on when the engine dies. Radio and lights are still on. The first timme it died, I didn't even realize my engine was off.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:11 AM

Oh. And it has no Immobilizer. At least that I know of.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:01 AM

alright guys thanks for the help but i have decided it is the fuel pump going out ebecause i replaced the filter and it was really clogged and the problem keeps getting worse so im pretty sure it is the pump slowly but surly reaching the end of its life span. i got the parts today but it was bloody hot so im going to replace the fuel pump and strainer tomorrow morning by myself... and yes i am a girl that does my own jeep work i shall repost if this doesnt fix it but, for the sake of my very very empty wallet, i hope this fixes it good night!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:37 AM

Well what was the verdict? There is strainer in the tank i am concerned mine might be clogged as well!