Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 Cherokee AC select problems

Old 07-14-2017, 06:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6
Default 94 Cherokee AC select problems

I have been working on getting the ac running in my 94 Cherokee.

The problem I am having is that when I select Max AC (or any of the settings where the compressor kicks on) the compressor will not come on.

I have narrowed the problem down to the ac selector itself and the wiring and vacuum lines from it. If I unscrew the ac control box and pull it away from the dash and push down on it slightly the compressor will turn on. If I release the pressure the compressor kicks off. I have not been able to get the ac compressor to stay on with the control box screwed in.

I need to know what inside the ac control box tells the compressor to turn on. I tried to eliminate the top right connector with the 4 wires coming out of it. I took the wires out of the connector and directly put them on the terminals. I still have to pull the box out and push down on it after that.

Thanks for looking

Last edited by MonacaYankee; 07-14-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Well there must be a short in the green and white wire somewhere. I took apart the top right connector and ran a wire from the tab on the ac controls straight to the compressor clutch and it grabs whenever you turn the key.
Tomorrow in the daylight I am just going to run a new wire along my sub wire.

Edit: see this thread https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/94-...h-wire-237328/

Last edited by MonacaYankee; 05-11-2018 at 12:38 PM.