Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

93 XJ clicks but no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0HO Inline 6
Default 93 XJ clicks but no start

Well, this is the second time my XJ has had a problem with starting. Last time I cleaned the battery terminals and that did the trick. This time the results are different. I checked my terminals, still clean. Tightened the cables up to be sure, cleaned the ground cable/ground. Tried starting it and still nothing, just clicks. The battery is a couple months old and my XJ fired right up this morning. Of course it only does this when it's pouring down rain. So next I tried using the booster pack, still nothing. My battery reads 8 volts on the dash. So where should I look next? It could be the alternator, distributor cap, or a cable. Where should I look first? Help much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 PM

Could it be the starter?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by greenxj21
Could it be the starter?
I also thought that too.. Gotta wait till daylight before I can look further into it.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:39 PM

Look up starter rebuild on here. It's worth trying out before buying a new starter.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 PM

Look up starter rebuild on here. It's worth trying out before buying a new starter.
Thanks, will do.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 PM

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoStarterClean.htm I think you can test the starter too. Not sure how though. Also, I would say the nss but if it is clicking then it is most likely not that.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 PM

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoStarterClean.htm I think you can test the starter too. Not sure how though. Also, I would say the nss but if it is clicking then it is most likely not that.
Looks pretty straight forward. I have fair mechanical skills (I have fixed numerous small engines as well as worked on several Diesel tractors/trucks).
Here is my plans for tomorrow:
Check the battery cables for corrosion
If battery cables are good:
Check the starter out, possibly rebuild
We will see where this goes from there. I will post an update when I have more information, right now i am thinking the cables may be corroded, the terminals were also replaced when the battery was replaced (not by me) so I have a gut feeling that the cables may be shot.

Last edited by Green & Yellow; 11-30-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

sounds like a dead battery, most jumper packs suck if the battery is drained that bad, every time I've had just clicking it's the battery or terminal connections
Old 11-30-2012, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by dynasty_v6
sounds like a dead battery, most jumper packs suck if the battery is drained that bad, every time I've had just clicking it's the battery or terminal connections
Hmm, I will have to throw the charger on the battery. It reads at around 8 volts which is weird, it was at 14 this morning and no lights were left on.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:15 AM

Take your battery to autozone and have them test it for you. Actually don't do that at all. They told me mine was good when it was bad and it was the reason mine didn't start. Bunch of morons.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:46 AM

Engine: 4.0 I6

Could it be the starter?
I'm with this guy. grab a hammer and give your starter a few taps and then try starting it again. Your starter might be bad and this can help it start sometimes. Obviously you don't want to do this continually.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

You need to start with the battery. Have it charged and take it in and have it load tested. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's not bad. I had a brand new battery for 1 week and it was bad. Then check all the grounding points, Alt connections also check the connections to the starter. Check to see is the starter is covered in oil from a leak in the valve cover or oil filter adapter. If so remove and clean it. Also clean the starter mounting area. The starter does not like to be covered with oil. These are the thing that you need to check before you start throwing money at it.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Apparently your Jeep is 19 years old, has it ever had any maintainance? From your description, if the battery actually shows 8 volts, that means 2 dead cells. That fact it only happens when there is moisture around as well would indicate the need to check all the electrical connections for corrosion. Time to roll up your sleeves and get dirty.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L i6

NOT CRANKING

Neutral Safety Switch (Try to start in neutral, not park)
Check battery terminals. (Loose and/or corroded)
Starter Relay (Fuse #19, kick panel)
Starter (Hit with hammer)
Starter (Jump with screwdriver)
Ignition Switch

CRANKS, BUT NO START

Fuel pressure. 48PSI. Listen for Fuel Pump.
Check for spark (How do you do this?)
Is gas tank empty?
Bad spark plugs? Bad Coil? Bad ECU? Bad Distributor, Cap, Wires?
Crank Position Sensor (CPS)
Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 AM

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
You need to start with the battery. Have it charged and take it in and have it load tested. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's not bad. I had a brand new battery for 1 week and it was bad. Then check all the grounding points, Alt connections also check the connections to the starter. Check to see is the starter is covered in oil from a leak in the valve cover or oil filter adapter. If so remove and clean it. Also clean the starter mounting area. The starter does not like to be covered with oil. These are the thing that you need to check before you start throwing money at it.
excellent advice!

Quick Reply: 93 XJ clicks but no start