Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

93 cherokee very hard starting...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6
Default 93 cherokee very hard starting...

alright. something new to trouble shoot on the xj..yay. just recently started to become very hard to start. i figured cuz its really cold in the morning but now its just happening everyday. i turn the key and its cranking really good, but not starting. i hold the key for about 3-4 seconds, turn it off and repeat about 3 times. after the third time it will usually start. now when its cold im pretty much compltely draining the battery before it will start. i have been carrying the portable jumper to make sure i dont get stuck. my battery is good and its cranking over just fine, it will also start right back up once it has warmed up. any advice on what i should check or replace is appreciated, thanks..
Old 09-20-2009, 01:38 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

The same thing happened on my '96. It would turn over like nobody's business, but not start. It would jump start fine.

A new battery solved the problem. I don't understand how it can turn over so good and not start, but it did...
Old 09-20-2009, 02:11 PM

well i checked the voltage on the battery and it was normal just barely below 12. so i hooked up the portable jumper just to see if that was the problem and its still cranking the same, it didnt help any... i figured if it was my starter then i would be having problems with it cranking at all, you know have to whack it with the hammer, but im not sure. my alternator is nearly brand new and the battery holds the charge just fine. i just dont want to foot out the 100-150 for a new starter and have the problem still..
Old 09-20-2009, 05:39 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Check your fuel pressure before you do anything else next. Trust me. If your Jeep wont start for a bit but runs just fine once it does start you probably have a bad check valve in the fuel pump. The check valve is what holds the fuel pressure in the system and is a very common thing to have go bad. The fuel pump will most likely still maintain fuel pressure once the engine fires but until the engine catches the fuel pump will only stay on for 2 seconds while it primes. Thats not enough to prime the system completely if you have a bad check valve, thus is why it starts slow. I suggest installing an external check valve. But if you have to check fuel pressure first. it's very simple you just have to get a fuel pressure gauge. $50 at an auto parts store.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Switch the ign on and off 5-6 times (with pauses) to prime the fuel system before cranking.
Go on ebay or in your local parts store and buy a on line fuel check valve. (around 10$) and install it on the hose that goes from the sending unit at the tank to the fuel filter.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:06 PM

isnt the fuel filter in the tank? or wait..thats the pump.. im gonna do this tomorrow..thanks for the input guys..
Old 09-20-2009, 06:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93
Engine: 4.0

yea im def gonna have to say its a fuel issue on this one, filter could be clogged could be injectors, could be the lil rubber hose on the pump that is inside the tank, one way to check injectors to see if they are spraying is to take a long screw driver and hold it on the injector, and while someone is turning the engine over put your ear to the screw driver and you should hear a clicking sound. also check connections on your cps and test it with your ohm meter and make sure its secured to the bell housing