Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

93 auto tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 93 auto tranny question

ok so here it is I have a 93 XJ and my front pump seal is leaking and I'm pretty handy whit a set of tools so I got the tranny loose (even the PITA reverse torque bolts at the top) and now my issue is the plugs and throttle cable on the trans. My question is how the hell do I get them off without damaging the wires or cable? I don't have the cashe to get a Hanes or Chilton manuel as I've already spent over $300 on the jeep this week alone. ANY sugestions would be great guys thanks
Old 02-03-2010, 09:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

the kickdown cable (not throttle) stays with the transmission. Disconnect it up near the throttle body and feed it down. Otherwise the trans pan needs to be dropped.

The plugs, these should just be regular electrical connections that have a clip on somewhere that needs depressing to release.

Take your time, you'll get it.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
the kickdown cable (not throttle) stays with the transmission. Disconnect it up near the throttle body and feed it down. Otherwise the trans pan needs to be dropped.

The plugs, these should just be regular electrical connections that have a clip on somewhere that needs depressing to release.

Take your time, you'll get it.
how do I get the kickdown calble loose from the throttle body?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

It either has a pop on end to a ball on the bracket, or the end slides forward then off the bracket. Then depress the square clips on retainer bracket and feed the cable through.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:40 AM
CF Veteran

It either has a pop on end to a ball on the bracket, or the end slides forward then off the bracket. Then depress the square clips on retainer bracket and feed the cable through.
got it out thanks...so the ires should just unplug? If so where would the plug be located? The only wire "plug" I found doesn't look like it's supposed to come apart
Old 02-03-2010, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

It should be somewhere near the back of the bellhousing or top of transmission... they come apart. There is also the CPS bolted to the bellhousing by two bolts at the 11 o'clock position laying underneath that needs to come off. Wire clips together at end of the fuel rail.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

got the trans out thanks for the imput
Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

You bet..

On reinstall make sure that torque converter is all the way back to where you can barely get your fingers wrapped around the back side.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Alright so I got the trans in and now my flywheel won't move so I can put the torque converter bolts in. Anybody have an idea of why? Hoping I don't have to take it back out as it was VERY aggrivating to put it in by myself
Old 02-03-2010, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Dont torque the bellhousing bolts in too tight.

Grab a large screwdriver and place it along the backside of the block, you should be able to slowly and carefully rotate the flywheel by walking the ring gear around with screwdriver. There may be only one spot where all the bolts will line up on torque converter.

Dont try to rotate the the crank by tightening on the harmonic balancer bolt, you'll strip it if your not careful. In a pinch you can remove all the plugs and rotate by using the serpentine belt.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:51 PM

Year: 95

Matt82,

I'm impressed you got it off so quickly. I'm attempting the same next weekend for the first time.

I just want to make sure on the top two E12 Torx bolts, you loosened them counter-clockwise, correct? I've got everything else off, the bolts are the last to go, then its into the basement.

Thanks-
Old 02-03-2010, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by inkonmylar
Matt82,

I'm impressed you got it off so quickly. I'm attempting the same next weekend for the first time.

I just want to make sure on the top two E12 Torx bolts, you loosened them counter-clockwise, correct? I've got everything else off, the bolts are the last to go, then its into the basement.

Thanks-
yea they untighten the same direction as the others do and to top that mine came out pretty easily with just a regular socket
Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 AM
CF Veteran

aight guys i'm having trouble getting my trans to line up right. Seems like it's going together fine and seems like my converter is all the way in but I can't move the flywheel to put in the converter bolts?? Any sugestions as to what might be binding it up thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 AM
CF Veteran

Pull it back, make sure that TC is all the way in.. this has frustrated many a Jeep owner. It should drop in 3-4 times before it's fully seated into the pump drive.

How many bolts are in the bellhousing? You may have too much pressure against the flywheel. Remove all but the largest at 3 and 6 o'clock positions. Gently tighten to pull them in, while checking that you can rotate the flywheel.

I know it's frustrating.. but this is how you learn the "feel" for this kinda work.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Pull it back, make sure that TC is all the way in.. this has frustrated many a Jeep owner. It should drop in 3-4 times before it's fully seated into the pump drive.

How many bolts are in the bellhousing? You may have too much pressure against the flywheel. Remove all but the largest at 3 and 6 o'clock positions. Gently tighten to pull them in, while checking that you can rotate the flywheel.

I know it's frustrating.. but this is how you learn the "feel" for this kinda work.
aight man thanks

Quick Reply: 93 auto tranny question