Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

92' cherokee problems NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC Inline 6 4L High Output
Default 92' cherokee problems NEED HELP!!

hey everyone, wow its been a while since i was on here, i think i was on here last time when i first got my jeep and was having oil problems, still not sure about that but now i need someone to help me with two problems, its puzzled me for at least a month now and i dont want to take it to a shop and pay way to much to get an idk like always, but here they are...
1. my 92' jeep Cherokee 4.0L high output inline six is making some kind of clanking or knocking noise when it starts, it idles and while driving or reeving it up. i checked the oil and its at the safe level, all fluids are good, spark plugs are good, distributor seems to be fine, someone said that it may have been the engine and the flywheel where off balance but i read someone where online that jeeps have a flywheel balancer that keeps them from becoming off balanced, then i figured the valves needed to readjusted then read online that they are hydraulic valves and dont need to be readjusted. my thoughts are the oil pump because i had it running and i looked and listend while it idled under the jeep and it sounded like it was coming from the oil pump, but when driving the jeep reads over 40 pressure but when idleing its at the line between the 0 and 40 and thats when it knocks for some reason, buts making the noise really loudly while driving!
2. is my A/C- heater or climate control system is making this loud viberating sound and when i put the fan on high it dosent hardly blow out as much air as it used to, the A/C is cold i can feel it, its just the fan dosent push out as much air and its making that vibrating noise, heater works but is faint not as good as the A/C, also i was woundering if its normal for this type of jeep engine to get above 210, my friends 91' is between the 0 and 210, my gets there after driving in the city or after awhile on the highway.

Thanks i'm sorry for the length, i wanted to give as much details as possible, and thanks for all the help!!
Old 07-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Flexplate bolts!
Take the inspection cover off the bottom front of the transmission and remove them, apply loctite and reinstall.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:48 AM

Year: 2001

x2 on the flexplate bolts. your oil pressure seems fine. the dash guages are not accurate but idle should be about 12psi. temperature should stay at 210.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:29 AM

Default Thank you

i will try the flexplate bolts, but today a friend that owns a 1991 jeep cherokee Laredo said that it may be the Timing is off which could cause the noise from the engine, because the noise gets much louder when the A/C is turned on, it would be so nice to have A/C again because it was 102 here today and i was in the car most the day lol, the A/C works but the whole dash vibrates when fan is on higher then low and dosent blow as much are as it once did. the fan does the same thing for heat and the defrost, a couple months back we replaced the Heater Control valve because it was broken and plastic pieces were in the radiator fluid. now if the temp is supposed to be at 210 then why does it have a check engine light that comes on before it reaches it, as soon as it passes the line before the 210 the light comes on and the fan kicks on and wont shut off till its below then the light goes off. thank you for all the help, this jeep has just been so confusing to me because i dont know a lot about cars just some stuff...
Old 07-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Ahh, more info, very helpful. Still check the flexplate bolts. When you replaced the valve did you flush the entire cooling system? if not do it asap. CK engine light can be many things but it seems temp related. Remove the two hoses from the mixing valve and flush it BOTH ways so you get all the old coolant and stuff out of the entire system. Remove the lower Rad hose also.

If the heater fan vibrates as you increase it's speed you have something stuck on the squirrel cage (the fan blades) Pull the heater fan and find out what's up with it. If the fan is damaged go get another from a JY. My dad's Envoy had a mouse that worked it's way up in there Everything shook when he turned it on! Got the mouse out of there and all was well.
Keep us posted and take pics when something looks interesting!
Old 07-04-2009, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by asatxj
Ahh, more info, very helpful. Still check the flexplate bolts. When you replaced the valve did you flush the entire cooling system? if not do it asap. CK engine light can be many things but it seems temp related. Remove the two hoses from the mixing valve and flush it BOTH ways so you get all the old coolant and stuff out of the entire system. Remove the lower Rad hose also.

If the heater fan vibrates as you increase it's speed you have something stuck on the squirrel cage (the fan blades) Pull the heater fan and find out what's up with it. If the fan is damaged go get another from a JY. My dad's Envoy had a mouse that worked it's way up in there Everything shook when he turned it on! Got the mouse out of there and all was well.
Keep us posted and take pics when something looks interesting!
Thanks for all the information and making it to where i can understand it, lol duh i forgot to flush the cooling system and i knew that there may have been pieces of plastic from the broken valve, so i will do that tomorrow when i get off work, dont have time in the morning i kinda have to get up in the early hours for work! The Fan quietly vibrates the dash when on low but anything higher which seems to be i need high to just be able to feel it, i took the lower dash off the other day (the part where the tweeters are just below the glove box and turned on the a/c to see if the fan was moving, i briefly saw it was spinning fast but something shut so i couldn't see it, idk why it shut isn't that where it gets its air? and yes i will do take pics, haven't had time to really get in and under the hood lately, but i just thought of something, do u think that when the heater control valve broke some of the plastic pieces could have got into the engine and caused it to makes the clicking sputtering noise while idling and driving or reeving it up? Also a week after i bought the jeep in February i noticed that jeep had a deteriorating exhaust system (holes towards the back) the jeep when i bought it had no check engine or maintenance required lights until 2 weeks after buying it, i will post a pic soon!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Seasoned Member

The Fan quietly vibrates the dash when on low but anything higher which seems to be i need high to just be able to feel it, i took the lower dash off the other day (the part where the tweeters are just below the glove box and turned on the a/c to see if the fan was moving, i briefly saw it was spinning fast but something shut so i couldn't see it, idk why it shut isn't that where it gets its air?Only if it's recirculating. Seems to be working correctly and yes i will do take pics, haven't had time to really get in and under the hood lately, but i just thought of something, do u think that when the heater control valve broke some of the plastic pieces could have got into the engine and caused it to makes the clicking sputtering noise while idling and driving or reeving it up?Nope, keep the water pump from spinning freely though Also a week after i bought the jeep in February i noticed that jeep had a deteriorating exhaust system (holes towards the back) the jeep when i bought it had no check engine or maintenance required lights until 2 weeks after buying it, i will post a pic soon! Jeeps are like buying a house, everything is fantastic until you get to know it then you find all the stuff you need to work on!
Old 07-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by asatxj
The Fan quietly vibrates the dash when on low but anything higher which seems to be i need high to just be able to feel it, i took the lower dash off the other day (the part where the tweeters are just below the glove box and turned on the a/c to see if the fan was moving, i briefly saw it was spinning fast but something shut so i couldn't see it, idk why it shut isn't that where it gets its air?Only if it's recirculating. Seems to be working correctly and yes i will do take pics, haven't had time to really get in and under the hood lately, but i just thought of something, do u think that when the heater control valve broke some of the plastic pieces could have got into the engine and caused it to makes the clicking sputtering noise while idling and driving or reeving it up?Nope, keep the water pump from spinning freely though Also a week after i bought the jeep in February i noticed that jeep had a deteriorating exhaust system (holes towards the back) the jeep when i bought it had no check engine or maintenance required lights until 2 weeks after buying it, i will post a pic soon! Jeeps are like buying a house, everything is fantastic until you get to know it then you find all the stuff you need to work on!

LOL that is so true about jeeps!
Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 PM

I have a 92 Jeep Cherokee that I bought used and while you're driving it will just shut down sometimes it starts back up and sometimes it has to sit for hours before it will start again. I took it to a Jeep garage and they said they found the problem and fixed it, but that was almost 2 weeks ago and it's still doing the same thing. Can anyone help me. Thanx
Old 07-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by freedp2
I have a 92 Jeep Cherokee that I bought used and while you're driving it will just shut down sometimes it starts back up and sometimes it has to sit for hours before it will start again. I took it to a Jeep garage and they said they found the problem and fixed it, but that was almost 2 weeks ago and it's still doing the same thing. Can anyone help me. Thanx
Can't help much until we know what the shop did. I suspect a NSS or CPS
Old 07-06-2009, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991

Originally Posted by freedp2
what did they say they fix/replace