Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'91 Radiator swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default '91 Radiator swap

My '88 chief had the closed cooling system on it and had no way of circulating the coolant so i swaped it over to a '91 radiator and i am going to get the matching overflow tank w/ my next check i would like to ask a question about the oil cooler return and feed lines that are bulit in to my new radiator... would i be able to head to a hardware store and buy something to plug both the lines for the oil cooler? with it still functioning properly?!?! and when i pulled the old radiator out there was a plug towards the bottom on the driver's side of the rad. looks electrical but there isn't a place to plug it in on the new one.
any input would be amazing!! :]]]

john
Old 11-01-2009, 05:37 PM

no, you cannot plug the cooler lines. there is pressure there and it will end up blowing the lines off. for a temporary fix you can hook them together but i would not drive it like that. the new rad should have had a cooler in it also. did it come from one with a manual trans? if so, you can get an aux cooler from the parts store. as for the plug in the bottom. any way you can post a pic. that would help to identify it.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Throttle Jockey
no, you cannot plug the cooler lines. there is pressure there and it will end up blowing the lines off. for a temporary fix you can hook them together but i would not drive it like that. the new rad should have had a cooler in it also. did it come from one with a manual trans? if so, you can get an aux cooler from the parts store. as for the plug in the bottom. any way you can post a pic. that would help to identify it.
Huh?
I think he's refering to where the Automatic transmission cooler lines connect to the rad.
Because he's asking about them I'm going to assume he has a manual transmission and no need for them.
Yes you can plug them. Use a brass plug with the correct thread on them.
The 91 rad also has a provision for a sensor that connects to the ECM.
He has an older jeep and does not need it.
Again you can plug it using the right thread plug.
Remember to use some thread sealant.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:30 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L I6

its got a manuel tranny in it and went to home depot today and got some brass plugs with the right thread,, but i didnt pick up the sealant.... would i be able to get away with some gasket maker? and i just bought a new one from advanced auto parts too paid little over 140 single row but that plug that i pulled from my O.E.M rad. had a block plug with wires leading some where (dont know where to be honest its all sorts of clustered) anyone know what that is for?? cuz it doesnt have any valves or anything just threaded into the side of the feed hose like an inch above that hose.