Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

90 cherokee, headlamps won't turn off after shutdown.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Thumbs up 90 XJ Cherokee, headlamps won't turn off after shutdown.

After turning my engine off, the headlamps remain on. There is a buzzing noise under the dash that starts after about 30 sec's. Anyone know of a fix for this?

Robin

Last edited by robinz; 09-17-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

Yeah mine does the same if i turn off my headlights before i turn the ignition off the lights will stay on, if i turn the igniton back on then of they go off.

Not sure if thats normal
Old 09-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: 4cyl

My 91 has that option if you turn the jeep off first the lights stay on for about 30 seconds. If I turn the lights off first they go off
Old 09-17-2009, 02:13 PM

Thumbs up More info to add ...

I have a little more to go on. The buzzing noise seems to be coming from the headlamp pull-switch on the dash panel. When I start vehicle and pull headlamp switch, all is well. When I shut vehicle off, after about 30 sec's, the buzzing begins and the headlamps don't shut off. Obvious observation would be new headlamp switch? Is the headlamp delay module maybe at fault? Or because of the 30 sec delay still occuring it would rule out any issue with the headlamp delay module? I can't be the first one experiencing this problem, its a 1990. Hopefully the right person reads this post.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by robinz
I have a little more to go on. The buzzing noise seems to be coming from the headlamp pull-switch on the dash panel. When I start vehicle and pull headlamp switch, all is well. When I shut vehicle off, after about 30 sec's, the buzzing begins and the headlamps don't shut off. Obvious observation would be new headlamp switch? Is the headlamp delay module maybe at fault? Or because of the 30 sec delay still occuring it would rule out any issue with the headlamp delay module? I can't be the first one experiencing this problem, its a 1990. Hopefully the right person reads this post.
what happens if you turn the lights off first, then turn the jeep off?

Originally Posted by Stan6406
My 91 has that option if you turn the jeep off first the lights stay on for about 30 seconds. If I turn the lights off first they go off
this is what my 90 does
Old 09-17-2009, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

Your lights staying on is normal if you pull the key then turn them off.The buzz is usually to tell you that you have left them on after you pull the key.On mine I pull my key, turn them off, lock the door the interior light goes out, then about 45 seconds or so my head lights go off.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:54 PM

Yes, I been driving this for almost 20 years. It did what everyone else's does on a normal day. It is no longer behaving like a normal day. I'm going to pick up a new headlamp switch and see what that gets me.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Originally Posted by mike albo
Your lights staying on is normal if you pull the key then turn them off.The buzz is usually to tell you that you have left them on after you pull the key.On mine I pull my key, turn them off, lock the door the interior light goes out, then about 45 seconds or so my head lights go off.
X2. Thats exactly how they are supposed to work if your Jeep has the optional headlamp delay option.

This lets you get in your house while you can see to do so.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:45 PM

This issue is not the classic "headlamp delay option". Headlamps constantly on and a loud buzzing noise when parked and off is not a option I wish to have. I'm going to get my switch now and I'll report back tomorrow and how it turned out.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Originally Posted by robinz
This issue is not the classic "headlamp delay option". Headlamps constantly on and a loud buzzing noise when parked and off is not a option I wish to have. I'm going to get my switch now and I'll report back tomorrow and how it turned out.
Thanks for the clarification. You did not specifically describe the problem in the original post in that manner.

Your original description sounded just like the headlamp delay mode.

Good luck in changing out the switch. Keep us updated.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 AM

Thumbs up

Replaced switch. No fix. Although, discovered module right next to switch is unit making the buzzing noise. I suspect this is the "headlamp delay module". See pic. Can anyone confirm.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2009, 03:25 PM

Thumbs up 1990 XJ Cherokee (CAN), headlights won't turn off after shutdown. DRL location?

I replaced the headlamp switch, disconnected the headlamp delay relay, still the lights remain on, long after the vehicle has been shut off. I'm leaning toward disconnecting the daytime running light module (DLR). Anyone know on how to bypass the DLR?

Last edited by robinz; 09-19-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-19-2009, 04:38 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Mine is an 88 and i have this issue... <shrug> I thought it might be my ignition switch?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:49 AM

Thumbs up DLR discription?

I'm told the Daytime Running Light module is located on the passenger side engine compartment. I'm trying to locate and am assuming it is under the coolant bottle reservoir ledge. There's a mess of stuff under that ledge. Can anyone describe the module?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 PM

Thumbs up

I found it!! I disconnected it. All is well. FYI; my connector has two rows of 4 pins. Thanks all for trying to help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 90 cherokee, headlamps won't turn off after shutdown.