Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 XJ Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl
Default 89 XJ Advice

So, I did a search and came up with lots of different advice on all sorts of different subjects from lifts to lockers and all that jazz. Im still new to this world so some of the terminology and accronymns yall use are still a little foreign, but im working on that.

My 89 didnt come with an owners manual, so I grabbed the chiltons and that has helped. However, I could use some advice from the experienced on general maintenance areas. Also, areas that are a just good all around area to upgrade.

As of now, I have replaced several small bits and pieces with jy treasures. I have also replaced the rad (had a hole in the bottom), t stat, water pump, serp belt and brakes all around. Also replaced tranny fluid and filter as well as the standard oil and filter change. Repaired the vacuum system of my 4wd (those stupid thick black connecting booties were a joke).

My current issues are:
Part-time light flashes sporadically (very erractic; no loss of 4wd)
Heat never gets very warm
Power locks lock, but wont unlock (suspect bad wiring at pass. side)

Any suggestions on those areas?

I plan on ditching the 260k motor and picking up a new re-manned one and slapping that in next summer. After that, I plan on doing a conservative 3" lift.

I also have some surface rust areas on the body and plan on coating her in herculiner. What is a good grit of sand paper to use on the body to remove rust as well as scuff it enough?

Sorry this was so long, but I didnt want to miss anything. Thanks yall!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

My power locks suck so so sometimes i have to do it a few times and it works out.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 PM

Yea, it tries to unlock but it just doesnt. You can actually see the locks on trying to move, but they just dont. So, that leads me to think that its probably a poor connection issue somewhere.

Oh, and another question about lifting... I see in another thread there is a 3" suspension lift for sale for like 200 bucks. But, in the picture, I dont see leaf springs. Dont you need new leaf springs for a lift? I see new shocks come with that kit, and I know mine are crapski, so that kit sounds pretty good. Any insight on this too?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Do you know who makes the lift? If its the one im thinking of its the 3" rc with coils and aal. Well The aal with go back and forth with people all day some saying good and some saying bad. I belive if your leafs are still arching then you would be fine but a new leaf pack is always better.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Seasoned Member

First... aal = add a leaf
Pro ... Gets some lift that you want
Con ... Makes the rig alittle more rougher
3" lifts for the rear are either gained by an aal or a longer shackle or both.

Regarding your power locks, if it was a bad electrical connection, you wouldn't be getting any movement. If you see them "trying" to unlock its probably debri/corrotion on the moving parts.

The heater never getting warm can be a few things. Either the heater core inside the dash or there is valve type thing in the engine compartment (just above the dip stick) that can break (has happened to me) and the leave action quick working (happened to me as well)

The 4wd light not working, thats just a jeep thing Very common and it annoys alot of people. The 231 and 242 tcase are leaver driven t-cases, so unless that breaks you should be good.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:34 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Power Locks

Mine did the same thing so I took off the door panel and lubed all the moving parts and they worked great for about a month then they are sticking again. Maybe graphite would work better then WD40.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:37 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Steering Wheel

On a different note does anybody else have a steering wheel that is oozing black gunk. It usually gets bad when it is hot outside. I have to wipe the wheel down with a rag before I go anywhere. Prob just need to replace it.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by 91familyxj
Do you know who makes the lift? If its the one im thinking of its the 3" rc with coils and aal. Well The aal with go back and forth with people all day some saying good and some saying bad. I belive if your leafs are still arching then you would be fine but a new leaf pack is always better.
yea, if rc means rough country, then yea thats the one. I clicked the link someone posted and the pic didnt show a leaf of any sort. Just some shocks, springs, and some u bolt looking things. Again, bear with me, cuz I dont know the proper terminology for some parts.

Thats good to know about the 4wd light, I didnt think it was anything serious, as the 4wd does work like a champ. I read somewhere that the "switch" tends to fail, but that just makes the light come on when 4wd is engaged. If the switch fails 4wd still will work, there just wont be a lighted indication. That sound accurate?

As for the locks, good recommendation, I'll try super lubing the parts. Im also going to be hitting the jy to pick up one of those modules for the wipers, because mine is shot.

Again, if anyone could offer up some advice about things that they were like "dang... if i could do this over again, i would have purched.... xyz...." Or... "wish I would have upgraded...etc. etc...." Id rather learn from others experiences and mistakes, rather than repeat them.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:46 AM

No more tips or tricks or anything?
Old 12-12-2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by PolarXJ
The heater never getting warm can be a few things. Either the heater core inside the dash or there is valve type thing in the engine compartment (just above the dip stick) that can break (has happened to me) and the leave action quick working (happened to me as well)
Can you clear that up a bit more? What valve thing are you talking about?
Old 12-12-2009, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

If you look off your heater core you will find a black round valve with a vac. line off of it. that is what allows hot water to flow in your hearer core so you can have hot air inside.You can bypass it with a longer hose if you had to.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:41 PM

Are you saying to bypass the valve? I'll have to check that out tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Well im saying you can. Mine in in my 91 and come next summer I will put a ball valve on it. It will atleast let you know if is the problem or if its the heater core