Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 Jeep Wont start, and other electical oddities

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question 89 Jeep Wont start, and other electical oddities

I have a 1989 Cherokee Lardeo 4L Auto. Great car, got it for cheap, all i have done to her is replace the tires, radiator, ignition module, and the coil. The other day, being an idiot, i agreed to jump an older gentlemen infront of the restaurant I was at. Nothing weird happened, no sparks, no smell, his car started right up after charging it for a minute or two with my car. I go in, get my food, and Bam, my car wont start. Get it towed back to my house, take a look, everything looks ok, battery tests to 12.5v alternator gives me 14.82v. Give the crank sensor a test, and its toast, so i replace it. I get the car to start! But as soon as i turn on ANYTHING, dome light, brake lights, fan, whatever, the car dies. So i took the Alt and Batt out and had them tested at schucks, both test ok. I've put her all back together, and now she turns over but wont start. Any ideas? I'm not too much of a car person, but I hate leaving a mechnic feeling ripped of, and as I am new to Oregon, i dont know any good shops. I just replaced the Ignition Module about 3 months ago because it shorted out because of bad wiring. I found a decent harness at a pick and pull to replace it with, so if its dead, I dont think its from the same thing. Any ideas? I'm out of 'em, and i have to get to work somhow in the morning. Thanks everyone. I'm so glad i found this site, its where I learned to replace all the things mentioned above, except the radiator, i just didnt have that one in me. Im sure my neighbors are glad about that as well, as I live downtown and only have on street parking.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Checked fuses? Relays? connectors, wires?