Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 cherokee will run well then start to sputter

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default 89 cherokee will run well then start to sputter

i have a cherokee that sometimes runs well but when it gets cold it will start and when i put it in drive it will idle at 2k for a minute than die
it takes a while to warm up then it will finally drive. but once its going down the road it will sputter like its not timed right or theres a lack of fuel getting to the motor. i have a friend who thinks its a cam sensor. i really dont know what it is but would like some help in fixing it. let me know if i can give any more details on its problems.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

It is not the cam sensor because they were not used until 91.what it can be and what your friends may think is a crank position sensor,they can cause the sputtering,The other thing Is the iac on the tb,Take it off and clean and see if it helps,then look at your fuel system if that does not help,I would star there.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

Originally Posted by Abovetimberline
It is not the cam sensor because they were not used until 91.what it can be and what your friends may think is a crank position sensor,they can cause the sputtering,The other thing Is the iac on the tb,Take it off and clean and see if it helps,then look at your fuel system if that does not help,I would star there.

i took a look at mammerjam303's jeep yesterday and found the crank position sensors connector had been chopped off by the PO. they soldered the negative wire but just taped the positive back together.
i remade the connection...and his jeep stared running fine.

also pulled his iac and cleaned it.......but im sure it was the ghetto connections causing this.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: Inline 6

i had this exact problem happen to me a couple months back. try looking at your oxygen sensor too, and also you might have a hidden code stored. youre check engine light might not be on but that doesnt mean you might have a code. good luck man.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

Originally Posted by xjbuddy
i had this exact problem happen to me a couple months back. try looking at your oxygen sensor too, and also you might have a hidden code stored. youre check engine light might not be on but that doesnt mean you might have a code. good luck man.

if you read the post right before urs....i fixed his jeep. found bad connections for the cps
Old 11-28-2009, 12:04 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

thanks to xjbones my heep is back on the street he cleaned the iac sensor and found that the camshaft posisitoning sensor had been cut and spliced back together very poorly the hot and negitive wires were touching together probly causing the jeep to run poorly. but all good now
Old 06-05-2010, 12:19 AM

I have the same problem with my 92', changed the tps, and the sputtering got worse, changed the plugs, wires, dist. cap, no good yet the code still comes back, if anyone knows something I missed , please help, a daily driver, changeing the hub assembly, and trans. mount this weekend...