Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 Cherokee engine burns oil !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L HO "Straight Six"
Unhappy 89 Cherokee engine burns oil !!

okay, i took my jeep in because i had a problem with the engine burning oil... i was out driving like normal, pulled into the driveway and i start to see white smoke coming from underneath the hood.. and f course the smell of burning oil.. soo i took it to my mechanic and he said that the engine does burn any oil i put in, it like spits it all over the engine, soo he said it was time that my cherokee was going to have to be buried.. he also said the the catalytic convertor would just clog up with fluids and oil and it would just die....

SOOO WHAT IS THERE TO DOO ?? i recently bought oil treatment , and fuel treatment additives,but i had the same smoking problem today... I LOVE MY 1989 JEEP CHEROKEE and i want to spend as much time as i have left with her...

ANY ADVICE ????
Old 07-04-2009, 12:19 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

okay, i took my jeep in because i had a problem with the engine burning oil... i was out driving like normal, pulled into the driveway and i start to see white smoke coming from underneath the hood.. and f course the smell of burning oil.. soo i took it to my mechanic and he said that the engine does burn any oil i put in, it like spits it all over the engine, soo he said it was time that my cherokee was going to have to be buried.. he also said the the catalytic convertor would just clog up with fluids and oil and it would just die....

SOOO WHAT IS THERE TO DOO ?? i recently bought oil treatment , and fuel treatment additives,but i had the same smoking problem today... I LOVE MY 1989 JEEP CHEROKEE and i want to spend as much time as i have left with her...

ANY ADVICE ????
Well, oil treatment will not help anything, i would throw that away.
So your Jeep is not burning oil, it is leaking oil? correct?
The 4.0 can be a very leaky motor if you fall behind on regular maintenance. The oil pan gasket will leak, the valve cover gasket will leak, and the oil filter adapter gasket will leak, they are all common leaks and take no time to fix, but to accurately diagnose your problem, you will need to look around the engine bay and find where the oil leaks from.

The main thing that comes to mind after reading that though is your valve cover gasket, they tend to start leaking at the rear of the motor and the oil drips down onto the hot exhaust and you will see white smoke, give it a good look-over and report back.

That cherokee probably has more life left in her than what you are willing to spend with her.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:51 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0HO

guys correct me if i'm wrong here, but could it also be the rear main seal?
Old 07-05-2009, 11:08 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

guys correct me if i'm wrong here, but could it also be the rear main seal?
Yes, that is VERY possible.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0HO

it's a common problem, i think most of us have replaced or will replace the RMS at some point.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 litre

Had the same prob with mine change all the gaskets and RMS and it should fix it. I have a 89 cherokee limited. Mine was leaking oil A LOT and that fixed it. Just make sure when you drain the oil and stuff there isn't any metal pieces coming out otherwise you might want to get the motor rebuilt. I would rebuild the motor anything to keep the jeep. A good old cherokee is hard to come across. I love my 89 and I will keep it till the day I die lol