Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 4.0 Oil Pan "strap" - rear Main seal repair

Old 01-21-2013, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 89 4.0 Oil Pan "strap" - rear Main seal repair

In the process of replacing the rear main seal.
Got it all out, but the pan was very very securely attached the block. Had to pry the crap out of it to get it to bust loose. Hammered and hammered with zero effect. Its lifted 3" plus a floor jack under the front bumper and it slid right out after finally coming undone, which was nice (did remove the starter too).

Got the RMS R/R'd.
main bearing is pitted, pulled a rod bearing its got some wear too, but not going to go the distance on a rebuild because the engine runs fine and is most likely going to be replaced with an HO (or new XJ altogether).

This is the question:
There is an 'extra' strap at the rear main that seems to not have any purpose nor being capable of a seal between it and the oil pan. It would appear that it would leak if reinstalled.
Is this part of an old multi-piece gasket kit?
The strap is not flat where it contacts the pan, so just won't seal on the pan's surface.

A pic would help I know, but I didn't snap one. The strap fits between the pan and the block at the rear bearing cap. Its held in with the two oil pan screws (one on each side of the rear of the pan where it wraps down and around the rear bearing cap).

confused.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0

The parts catalog calls it "Support". It's supposed to be there and it's in no way meant to seal. The new (hopefully you bought the one piece) gasket seals between the oil pan and the block. All that piece is there for is to support that end of the pan (and the mechanical engineer in me thinks it helps distribute the force exerted by those two bolts so as to help get more even sealing).

As far as sequencing, it's the outer most piece. The bolts go through the support, then through the oil pan into the block. The strap does not got between the pan and the block. The pan goes between the support and the block.

It's part #33.

Name:  Oilpansupport_zps7204656e.jpg
Views: 5401
Size:  94.2 KB

Last edited by letinsh; 01-21-2013 at 08:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
318SixPack (01-14-2022)
Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by OnTheOffRoad
In the process of replacing the rear main seal.
Got it all out, but the pan was very very securely attached the block. Had to pry the crap out of it to get it to bust loose. Hammered and hammered with zero effect. Its lifted 3" plus a floor jack under the front bumper and it slid right out after finally coming undone, which was nice (did remove the starter too).

Got the RMS R/R'd.
main bearing is pitted, pulled a rod bearing its got some wear too, but not going to go the distance on a rebuild because the engine runs fine and is most likely going to be replaced with an HO (or new XJ altogether).

This is the question:
There is an 'extra' strap at the rear main that seems to not have any purpose nor being capable of a seal between it and the oil pan. It would appear that it would leak if reinstalled.
Is this part of an old multi-piece gasket kit?
The strap is not flat where it contacts the pan, so just won't seal on the pan's surface.

A pic would help I know, but I didn't snap one. The strap fits between the pan and the block at the rear bearing cap. Its held in with the two oil pan screws (one on each side of the rear of the pan where it wraps down and around the rear bearing cap).

confused.
If this piece has a metal backing in it, it's called an Engine Oil Pan Support. It goes on the outside of the oil pan at the rear. It's supposed to be there.

Edit: Ooops, looks like it was already addressed.
The following users liked this post:
318SixPack (01-14-2022)
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 AM

That sounds reasonable and logical. But I dont recall the strap being on the outside of the pan, which would have been obvious with all the poking and prying that was done around the pan perimeter while trying to get that b**tard unseated.
(How's that for a run on sentence?)

Thanks for the info. Just wanted to make sure before doing something stupid that would result in a do-over.
Attached Thumbnails 89 4.0 Oil Pan "strap" - rear Main seal repair-strap.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer

Originally Posted by OnTheOffRoad
That sounds reasonable and logical. But I dont recall the strap being on the outside of the pan, which would have been obvious with all the poking and prying that was done around the pan perimeter while trying to get that b**tard unseated.
(How's that for a run on sentence?)

Thanks for the info. Just wanted to make sure before doing something stupid that would result in a do-over.
Yep, that's the one. Goes on the outside of the pan
Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L 242ci I6

I had this same thing when I was done. I just threw it in the back and figured if it leaked I would put it back in. It seemed to be part of the old seal to help hold it in, so I kept it out. I had no idea it went on the outside, haha. Is it really necessary? If so, I'll stick the thing back on there when I go to tighten the pan bolts down again. It's been a few heat cycles since the job was done.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

If someone had put that support between the pan and the block before, that could explain why it was leaking.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by scottmphoto
If someone had put that support between the pan and the block before, that could explain why it was leaking.
You definitely got a point there. I fixed my RMS leak, but now that whole back area is clean and the bottom of the pan is wet from the valve cover leaking down, haha. It used to be the opposite.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 AM

After much grunting a scraping the surfaces were clean and the pan went back in
valve cover bolts were snugged and dabbed with loctite to keep them that way
oil filter seal replaced too
And lets no forget the dizzy seal

The huge leak is gone but what about a slow drip??
time will tell
Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 AM
CF Veteran

I think every one of my seals leaks. It's an ongoing effort to stop them. Once it gets warmer out, I'm gonna start replacing things.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

Originally Posted by XJ.89.Limited
I think every one of my seals leaks. It's an ongoing effort to stop them. Once it gets warmer out, I'm gonna start replacing things.
Did you do your vc gasket with blue gasket yet?