Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

87 Laredo electrical issue

Old 08-11-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 87 Laredo electrical issue

I have an 87 Laredo 4.0L and the other day while driving down the road it just quit. After checking the fuel pressure at the rail and finding none, i assumed it was a bad pump. I replaced the fuel pump and then discovered there was no power to the pump. After some searching i found an inline fuse that someone had install (aftermarket) and the 30 A fuse was blown. I replaced it and all seemed fine while sitting in the driveway idling. I drove it 2 blocks and the fuse blowed again. This time just to get back home I made a huge mistake and cut the fuse link out and wired the two ends together. When i turned the engine over it melted several of the wires together in the harness around the starter relay. Now after many hours of running new wires etc. I am ready to put it all back in. My big question is this, obviously there was an initial short to begin with that created all of this trouble, how can I check for that short to make sure i dont fry the new wiring.