Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

87 4.0 xj ac question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 87 4.0 xj ac question

Will it's hot as ***** in NYC and even hotter in the old girl, I want to fix my ac and I need a check list of what to test to find out what's still good and what needs repair or replacement,
I already converted the fittings to 134a
So here is my issue so far I turn the ac on no cold air the ac clutch doesn't even turn on. I jumped the pressure switch and the clutch kicks on but still no cold air
Does this mean my pressure switch is no good and I need to suck out any old r12 an re-oil the system and recharge ?

What else should I look at or check
Old 06-08-2011, 10:21 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 6 cyl 4.0

Hi sorry I am asking you a question on your question but how did you "jump the pressure switch" I do not want to bring my jeep somewhere so they can tell me its old and everything needs to be replaced. My clutch doesnt kick on either and I dont know how to test it. thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 10:30 AM

Very simple, behind the compressor there's a canister and on it there's a plug with two wires take the plug off and put a wire from one of the terminal to the next one that jumps the p switch and your compressor should start spinning hope this helps
Old 06-08-2011, 11:13 AM

I can't bear it I'm swing in a pool of
My own sweat, its 95 outside and like 110 in my xj with the windows open
Old 06-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

The most likely cause of the compressor not kicking on by itself is there is no refrigerant in the system. This is pretty much verified when you "jumped" the connection to make the compressor run but still didn't get any cooling.
You can pull vacuum, add new ester or PAG oil and charge with R134 but don't be surprised if it only works for a short time. Since the old R12 Freon is gone, it means there is a leak in the system and the new R134 will likely leak out as well - perhaps in mere minutes.
Pulling vacuum with gauges attached will show you if it loses vac and has a leak. You'll need to deal with that first before recharging. Note that R134 runs at higher pressures and will strain the integrity of your old system R12. Best of luck to you!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:01 PM

Yes year I tried charging it but I didn't pull out what ever was in the system? Since it was blowing hot air I thought there was nothing in it. I did the whole thing of adding the oil and 134a but the compressor still didn't kick on? I guess I'll bring it to Amoco for a free ac check.
I have another question? On the compressor where the lines go into it there are valves? Could there be a chance that they maybe closed? How can I confirm that? Or which way do I have to set them?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:39 PM

its working and the shop that i stopped to get a price qoute accidently fixed it. will some what i had to finish it but all it cost me was 24 bucks.

so after work i stopped into some shop to see if theyll see why my a/c wasnt blowing cold air. so im at the shop and he took his freon to my system to see if it will take it or what i have no clue why. after he did it he said its no good to change my compressor. after he told me i took out the jumper for the pressure switch and put the plug back onto the pressure switch and noticed my ac clucth engaged normally this wouldnt be so i jumped back into my jeep and the air was a bit cooler then it was. so i took off to auto zone and got the stop leak and 134a freon and add the whole can to my system two mins later cold air, drove it home and it got colder. so i'm hoping theres no leak and see how th ac feels like on the drove in to the city in the morning
Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 PM

:c heers::che ers:

Last edited by TubbyXJ; 06-08-2011 at 09:11 PM.