Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

5 speed cherokee Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 5 speed cherokee Won't start

I have a 93 2 door 5 speed cherokee. Guy before me put in a 4.0 out of a commanche with only 70,000 miles on it. I have talked to him and he has never had this issue. But the next day after i bought it, it just wouldnt start. I drove it 1 hr to his house, 2 and a half hours back home, stopping for gas and food, turned it off and back on multiple times. Drove to work the next morning started up fine, shut it off and started it a few times as i moved parking spots but got in to go home and no start. Still has full battery, all accessories still work fine. Just when you turn key over to start absolutely nothing happens. No clicking from starter or any kind of noises at all. I push started it and parked on a hill that night, rolled down hill in morning and started it up, drove to auto parts store and the said battery exceeded normal rating. I've owned it a month now and it has done it 4 times to me. It just won't start by itself for a day or so then it will just start fine randomly. One time it only wouldn't start for maybe 5 minutes, and after trying over and over and pushing clutch pedal like 100 times it started right up. But it's doing it again and that didn't work this time. It does it randomly and is annoying to have to ask someone for a push start when i don't park on a hill, and it just decides to not work. Any ideas of what this might be? I even tried to jump it the first time it did it and it didn't jump start