Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4 tire placement suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO"
Default 4 tire placement suggestion

Got 4 free 35/12.5/15 tires. 2 of the tires are at like 80% but different brands and the other 2 are like 20-30% tread left and two different brands. Two of them are bfgoodrich mud terrains and the other are wild trac. Should I put the better tread ones in the front or back? And also keep the same brands on the same side of the jeep? Like good bf and bad bf on driver and good wild trac and bad wild trac on passenger? Or what? Lol suggestions?
Old 08-16-2011, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

its recommended the new tires go on the back. so the 2 good tires on the back and the ****ty ones in the front. as for the brands is the tread at least similar? i would say keep the same brand on the same side i guess. i am curious how the guy got one wheel bald of each brand unless he one wheel squeals everywhere he goes.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Ditch the junk ones and get one new BFG and one new wild trac and rotate accordingly.

Last edited by XxXJ99xX; 08-16-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:22 PM

I thought about that but haven't been able to find any exact tread patterns for them yet. They are older model tires and both company have had a few models come out since these.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

or buy 2 new tires of any brand and toss the 2 80% tires together one of my buddies ended up doing that. the mismatch tires were thrown on the front and the new tires were thrown on the rear. it didn't handle terrible but it was only really used to be abused offroad.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by Budgetdrifter
I thought about that but haven't been able to find any exact tread patterns for them yet. They are older model tires and both company have had a few models come out since these.
Are they dry rotted or cracked from being in the sun or were they in storage? If theres any damage to them I'd consider some other tires...but if not then Id say run em until there bald. Not every day you get free tires like that.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:49 PM
npk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.8L

Originally Posted by cdawall
its recommended the new tires go on the back. so the 2 good tires on the back and the ****ty ones in the front.
i disagree. i would put the better tires on the front. a blowout on the front is much more dangerous than one on the back.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by npk
i disagree. i would put the better tires on the front. a blowout on the front is much more dangerous than one on the back.
thats fine your wrong. not to mention after having a blow out due to road debris on more than one occasion a front blow out is alot more controllable than a rear. this is from personal experience.

When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the partially worn tires moved to the front. The reason is because new tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads since deeper treaded tires are better at resisting hydroplaning.
source

Some tire stores insist on installing two new tires on the rear wheels of vehicles when the fronts are worn, and moving the old rear tires to the front--much to the dismay of many customers who want the new tires on the front. So, who's right?

Actually, I agree with the stores, as do the tire companies. Here's why: In dry, clear weather it really doesn't make much difference. But if the road is wet, the new, full-treaded tires are less likely to lose traction than the partly worn ones. If you're hauling ants down the road and come to a wet curve, the full-treaded tires on the rear will stay behind you, where they belong.

If the rear tires have less tread, there's a greater chance that they will slip, putting your rear bumper into the ditch. Okay, if the front tires skid, there's the chance you might go off the road, too--but at least it'll be headfirst, where your seatbelts and airbags offer more protection.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

yea but good front tires will cut water better and keep traction. and you want traction on your steer tires to keep you pointed in the right direction. plus in hydroplaning, your front tires hit first. if the are bald they will not cut through but will slide over, which is lifting the heaviest part of the vehicle so your rear end is hitting the water with even less weight. i run good tires up front and make sure all my Marines do to. You steer from the front, most of you braking is in the front as well as most of the vehicles weight. i mean its up to you but thats my rec and reasoning. i was behind a bmw that hydroplaned off the road into a ditch. when pulled over to help i saw her rear tires where brand new and her fronts where bald. she had no control because of this.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by farmerjohnson
yea but good front tires will cut water better and keep traction. and you want traction on your steer tires to keep you pointed in the right direction. plus in hydroplaning, your front tires hit first. if the are bald they will not cut through but will slide over, which is lifting the heaviest part of the vehicle so your rear end is hitting the water with even less weight. i run good tires up front and make sure all my Marines do to. You steer from the front, most of you braking is in the front as well as most of the vehicles weight. i mean its up to you but thats my rec and reasoning. i was behind a bmw that hydroplaned off the road into a ditch. when pulled over to help i saw her rear tires where brand new and her fronts where bald. she had no control because of this.
every single tire store and DOT recommend that you put the new tires on the back and old tires on the front. they would not risk lawsuits if there was not a reason for them to go that way. your marines putting tires places makes no difference to me that does not make it the right way. i sourced why i recommended new tires on the rear you just have your opinion so until you can pull some hard facts other than some lady in a ditch in a bemmer i would let this one go.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Seasoned Member

every single tire store and DOT recommend that you put the new tires on the back and old tires on the front. they would not risk lawsuits if there was not a reason for them to go that way. your marines putting tires places makes no difference to me that does not make it the right way. i sourced why i recommended new tires on the rear you just have your opinion so until you can pull some hard facts other than some lady in a ditch in a bemmer i would let this one go.
dude calm down. im giving MY recommendation from personal experiences and just the way i think. putting good tires up front makes sense to me. i was just sharing that. im not saying that thats the way it HAS to be or you wreck right away. Im glad you put references up. DOT does say that. im not saying you wrong. im just sharing my opinion man.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by farmerjohnson
dude calm down. im giving MY recommendation from personal experiences and just the way i think. putting good tires up front makes sense to me. i was just sharing that. im not saying that thats the way it HAS to be or you wreck right away. Im glad you put references up. DOT does say that. im not saying you wrong. im just sharing my opinion man.
i thought the exact same way until i noticed the poster up on some tire stores wall so i asked around about it. seems legit enough i would have thought steer tires need more tread but that doesn't seem to be the truth. as for the chicka in the BMW a number of things could have happened to lead to the ditch that had nothing to do with tires. like slamming on the brakes or gas or swerving. i have seen that one lead to more accidents than tire placement either way.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Seasoned Member

i thought the exact same way until i noticed the poster up on some tire stores wall so i asked around about it. seems legit enough i would have thought steer tires need more tread but that doesn't seem to be the truth. as for the chicka in the BMW a number of things could have happened to lead to the ditch that had nothing to do with tires. like slamming on the brakes or gas or swerving. i have seen that one lead to more accidents than tire placement either way.
agreed on the bmw. i was following then.... oops thereshe goes, no brake lights. either way it sucked for her. as for tires, im going to continue putting good tread up front. its now ingrained and what i feel safe with.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:07 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

My back tires wear faster, There for i put the good ones in the back. I've also heard its safer in the back, even in front wheel drive cars. I've experimented some and agree, less fishtailing in the snow with the good ones out back.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:16 AM

ok lots of input thanks a lot everyone. im going to still look around for some matching singles but if all else fails ill have just the 4 i have put on. as for the condition of the tires, they seem in decent condition crack and age wise. my back tires wear faster than the fronts as well so i might go with that idea.