Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4.0 lifter question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 4.0 lifter question

Hey guys I am new to the forum. My friend had a good running parts jeep that he used the engine out of to put in another jeep with a better body. Both engines were 4.0s and he used the head from the good body jeep. So everything was running good for about 2 months until he started getting a miss. Pulled the valve cover and one of the rockers wasn't moving, cylinder 5 intake rocker arm to be exact. The pushrod was able to be pushed and could depress the lifter. I pulled the head and pulled all the lifters and all looked ok except for the lifter from the number 5 cylinder. It was worn diagonally, not flat. A hole was also worn into the bottom. Now my question is here: Did the lifter wear out causing it to then wear on the cam or did the cam wear it out causing it to go bad?

Either way it definitely needs a cam and lifters but I don't want to put them in if something else will cause the issue again.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Welcome!

I think it would be impossible to say. I'd do the cam, lifters, AND that rocker arm and springs. Dunno if you can buy them individually....
Old 07-14-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Welcome!

I think it would be impossible to say. I'd do the cam, lifters, AND that rocker arm and springs. Dunno if you can buy them individually.

Ok just wanted some reassurance and a second opinion. Thank you for your response.