Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

4.0 Engine Removal Tips: Hoist Chain, E-torx bolts, and Don't break your nose!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997 4x4
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 4.0 Engine Removal Tips: Hoist Chain, E-torx bolts, and Don't break your nose!!

Ok, so I did this awesome and detailed post on some helpful hints on XJ engine replacement that I just learned first hand. And I hit "submit thread."

And the thread promptly vanished...

If anyone needs pointers on hoist chain attachment, removing the pesky E-12 bolts at top of tranny (simplest solution to the problem!), or anything else related to this subject, please contact me and I'll be happy to provide info to hopefully save others from aggravation.

Jim

Previous professional wrench-bearer and always a 4x4 nut... not to mention general know-it-all... ask me, I'll tell you... I know...!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl

Would you be able to post some photos or some hints and tricks. I have everything taken of of my engine except for three E-Torx transmission bolts and the motor mounts. Anything that I should know that would help is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by QueenCityXJ
Would you be able to post some photos or some hints and tricks. I have everything taken of of my engine except for three E-Torx transmission bolts and the motor mounts. Anything that I should know that would help is greatly appreciated!
Should have been one of the first things you removed.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:05 PM

Do you remember what size those three bolts are?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

e-12

Its easiest to take them off before all the other bolts, but its still doable!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:24 PM

Default Tips and tricks

Ole Blue and Turbo are right: you'll want to take the torx bolts out before the bigger tranny bellhousing to engine bolts as it does make it easier.

But first thing's first. Have you taken the fiberglass nose off yet? I found out with my 97 that it LOOKS like there's all kind of clearance until the motor's hanging and the crank pulley is trying to bust your nose all to pieces. You'll want the nose, radiator support, and radiator out, and the ac condenser sort of hanging between the bumper and lower rad support. The a/c compressor can sit in the battery tray and then you won't have to undo any lines.

To easily remove the torx bolts, you'll actually want to LOWER the engine and tranny as far as you can. First, put the two big bellhousing bolts back in and snug them down. Remove the nuts and bolts that hold the motor mounts to the subframe. Raise up on the engine with the hoist until you take the pressure off the motor mount bolts, and remove the motor mount bolts that go front to back. Now you can completely remove the rubber part of the mount (the actual motor mount) from the Jeep on both sides. DON'T remove the cast metal mounts that are bolted to the sides of the block. Lower the motor back down until the cast mounts are essentially resting on the subframe. For safety's sake, DO NOT completely release the hoist! Now you have all kinds of room between the firewall and torx bolts! I used an impact gun, long extension, impact universal, and my E-12 impact torx socket and ran them right off. With the motor lowered like this, you can also use an E-12 wrench with a pipe "cheater bar", or a ratchet or breaker bar and socket.

Ok, now that the torx bolts are out, raise the hoist back up, support your tranny, and remove the big tranny bolts you just put back in.
Some wiggling and jiggling, and the motor is out!
Sorry I don't have pictures... didn't think about it until I was about done!
If you have any other questions, shoot them to me!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 PM

Oh yeah, and when you get to that point, "assembly is the reverse of disassembly"!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:31 PM

Default And.....

Welcome to the forum, too!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L

Hey are there bolts that hold the torque converter to the flywheel like sbc motors? I've never separated a 4.0l from an aw4 before. Sry for this dumb question.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:06 PM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by 90xjcjf
Hey are there bolts that hold the torque converter to the flywheel like sbc motors? I've never separated a 4.0l from an aw4 before. Sry for this dumb question.
yes there are 4 bolts
Old 11-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Bryan98XJ

yes there are 4 bolts
Ok thanks man.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 PM

Fabricationman you are the man! I will be tackling it prob tomorrow or before the weekend. One quick question before I get to taking out the engine. My mechanic friend originally told me that my motor was seized up. But I am able to attach a socket to the crankshaft and turn it manually even without a cheater bar. If I can do this, is it still seized up or am I looking at another problem? Also I do have the front end all off. Radiator and all, plus I took off the ac condenser because my ac didn't work anyways. Thanks for the help man!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 PM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by QueenCityXJ
Fabricationman you are the man! I will be tackling it prob tomorrow or before the weekend. One quick question before I get to taking out the engine. My mechanic friend originally told me that my motor was seized up. But I am able to attach a socket to the crankshaft and turn it manually even without a cheater bar. If I can do this, is it still seized up or am I looking at another problem? Also I do have the front end all off. Radiator and all, plus I took off the ac condenser because my ac didn't work anyways. Thanks for the help man!
Sounds like your mechanic dont know what hes talking about, if you can turn it over your engine is not seized
Old 11-07-2012, 10:31 PM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Are you removing the engine because you believe its seized or do you have other reasons?
Old 11-07-2012, 10:43 PM

I went nose down into a ditch wheeling and it wouldn't start back up and over heated itself badly! We tried everything from new distributor to new crank position sensors, the whole works and nothing worked. I called my mechanic friend and ran him over everything and he looked at it and basically told me it was seized.

I was already planning in taking the engine out and doing a rebuild kit on it in the near future, and now that it wont start it seemed like a good time which is why I was planning on taking out the engine. I have the valve cover and all off and am looking at the head and pistons and I see that my second piston has an edge that looks like it has been chipped at a little bit. What would this mean instead of my engine being seized? If you need anymore info I got loads of it!

Quick Reply: 4.0 Engine Removal Tips: Hoist Chain, E-torx bolts, and Don't break your nose!!