Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

242 wont shift out of 4hi after rebuild

Old 07-05-2017, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default 242 wont shift out of 4hi after rebuild

I replaced some parts in the transfer case that had worn out leaving it only in 4lo.

After I replaced a fork, chain, caps etc and installed. Set up the linkage as jeep instructions.

Been driving it for a year with t stuck in 4hi. I go to move the lever to 2wd and it goes forward half way but accomplishes nothing and is spongy as if I am just compressing the linkage.

Any ideas if this could be a longae issue, or how to confirm, or is it in the transfer case and may get resolved externally or would I need to take it apart for some reason? Ideas?
Old 07-05-2017, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Are you shifting it when its in neutral? Mine acts up a bit when its in drive or park but neutral it seems to make it easier to shift.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:09 PM

Year: 1991

as its moving slowly in drive. ill try that. ty
Old 07-05-2017, 09:04 PM

Year: 1999

To shift from 2L to 4H-FT or 4H-PT, or back to 2H, you must be moving slowly along. The reason for this is that there needs to be some slightly different rotation to help the internal shift collar move across those 3 locations. I find it also helps to have the TC fluid warm-ish.

To go in and out of 4L, you must be stopped with the auto trans in neutral.

Your problem sounds more like a linkage adjustment. I would just get under the XJ and move the shift lever on the TC fully forwards (45 deg). That is 2L. You may have to then get in and drive along slowly and gently tap and release the gas pedal to get it to slip out of 4H into 2H. The shift fork is spring loaded and if the collar can't move because the splines aren't aligned, it can get stuck in 4H.

So if you can do that, and it works in 2H, then you just need to adjust your linkage to ensure you've got a full throw into 2H.

Also note that there is very little tolerance between mode fork positions, and worn out springs can mean you get partially stuck in one mode (eg 4H). Most of the springs are obsolete, I had to hunt around to find some. Also replace the shifter fork bushings if you crack the case for any reason.

Anyway, moving the shift lever on the TC manually will help you diagnose if it is a linkage adjustment issue, or an internal issue and the TC needs to come out again. Sometimes they can be a little cranky getting back to 2H.

Last edited by ANZAC; 07-05-2017 at 09:24 PM.