Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

242 transfer case question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 01:03 PM

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 242 transfer case question

2000 XJ, auto trans, 170,000 miles, 242 transfer case.

To save some bandwidth : the lube is fresh and correct, the external linkage is lubed and adjusted.

The question: lately it seems when you shift the transfer case from 2wd into any of the 4wd functions the shift lever& linkage moves as it should but the transfer case is not shifting into whichever 4wd function until you shift the transmission (not the xfer case, the transmission) from D to N to R a few times,sorta rock the drive train. You then get the 4wd function you wanted. Same deal to get out of 4wd. No bad noises. It didn't used to be this way

I fear it is an internal problem, maybe those plastic pads on the shift fork but looking for ideas.

Thanks

I

Old 03-01-2019, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Sometimes you have to do that with the np242 to get it to engage. I have had 2 jeeps with 242s and they were both that way.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0

Are you moving or in park when you shift? The 242 prefers to be moving a little. Going into reverse to lock it into 4lo or back into 2wd is not uncommon either.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:00 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 606 Likes on 516 Posts
Year: 96

Originally Posted by exasemech
2000 XJ, auto trans, 170,000 miles, 242 transfer case.

The question: lately it seems when you shift the transfer case from 2wd into any of the 4wd functions the shift lever& linkage moves as it should but the transfer case is not shifting into whichever 4wd function until you shift the transmission (not the xfer case, the transmission) from D to N to R a few times,sorta rock the drive train. You then get the 4wd function you wanted. Same deal to get out of 4wd. No bad noises. It didn't used to be this way
Thanks
I
Each of my 3 X 242 were like that, cured by fitting a new trans mount

there should be ~3/4" to 1" gap between the xfer case and skid plate...if you cant get your fingers thru the gap, that is absolute proof

(angle must bind or alter effective length of linkages)

the old mount sags down,,dont by the real cheap mount, bouncy as a tennis ball !

one of mine even "changes on-the-fly now, the others may need to engage R and D, but go in easily to each mode

previously, at least one was very hard to change modes, you would worry about not being able to

I do like it to be easy, over 40yrs , got sick of manual hubs etc..the Jeep 242 with all its modes and tough front running gear = good

Last edited by awg; 03-01-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by awg
Each of my 3 X 242 were like that, cured by fitting a new trans mount

there should be ~3/4" to 1" gap between the xfer case and skid plate...if you cant get your fingers thru the gap, that is absolute proof

(angle must bind or alter effective length of linkages)

the old mount sags down,,dont by the real cheap mount, bouncy as a tennis ball !
In other words - NO ANCHOR BRAND! Recommended replacement is Mopar or Napa. The Mopar's tend to be reasonably priced (at least they were for my 95 with the AX15), but folks have reported good results from the Napa mounts as well.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:09 PM

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts
Year: 2000

Wanted to give a follow-up...rude not to do that if people offer help.

In no particular order:
I do shift the transfer case when the vehicle is moving, but trying not to "load" the drivetrain

The trans mount "looks OK" but that doesn't mean too much. I can't do the distance to skid plate test as the PO robbed the skid plate off it . The exhaust is not rubbing. If you jack up the trans a bit nothing appears weird. I did recently get a new Mopar mount from an online dealer however, of course, it turns out to be the "offset" version rather than the centered one I need for a 2000 with mini-cats so right now it a doorstop &%*())#

All in all it sounds like it's common behavior which may be improved with a new trans mount.

Thanks for the replies
Old 03-03-2019, 08:37 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Shift like this:

Shifting the NP/NV242J Selec-Trac Transfer Case

2WD Position
This position is for driving on hard-surfaced roads under normal driving conditions when 4-wheel drive is not desired.

4x4 PART TIME Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when on-or off-road conditions such as deep snow or heavy ice require increased traction. When engaged, both the front and the rear axles are mechanically locked together and turn at the same speed. Do not use 4x4 PART TIME on dry, paved roads.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 PART TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 PART TIME is selected.

4x4 FULL TIME Position
This is the primary 4-wheel drive position, which offers better traction when roads are wet, snow covered or icy. When engaged, the front and rear wheels axles are permitted to turn at different speeds to enhance maneuverability. Use 4x4 FULL TIME year-round on all road surfaces if you wish.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 FULL TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed. When shifting, do it in a swift and firm movement.

When shifting from 2WD through 4x4 PART TIME to 4x4 FULL TIME, two momentary releases of the accelerator may be required after shifting.

A green FULL TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 FULL TIME is selected.

4 LO Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when off-road conditions require added low speed pulling power. Do not use 4 LO on dry, paved roads.

To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h), shift the transmission into Neutral (N), then shift the transfer case lever to Neutral, then to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4 LO.

Never attempt to engage Low Range when the vehicle is moving faster than 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h). Transfer case damage may result.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4 LO is selected.