Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 shifting issues

Old 01-20-2019, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Angry 2001 shifting issues

I have a 2001 xj 2wd i ran codes on it and it comes up with tps high and low voltage and transmission malfunction. When im driving in town i have to go at least 20mph to shift out of first and at least 35mph to shift out of second. And when im going 60mph sounds like im stuck in a lower gear. Don't know what i can do to fix it myself
Old 01-20-2019, 07:26 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by Stepley
I have a 2001 xj 2wd i ran codes on it and it comes up with tps high and low voltage and transmission malfunction. When im driving in town i have to go at least 20mph to shift out of first and at least 35mph to shift out of second. And when im going 60mph sounds like im stuck in a lower gear. Don't know what i can do to fix it myself
Have you tried adjusting the TV cable?

Here is a vid on how.

Last edited by Dumajones; 01-22-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dumajones
Have you tried adjusting the TV cable?

Here is a vid on how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0di1z5j1fU
ill try that when i get off work. I also have a problem when i try to put my foot in it and it starts jumping but if i let out of it, it will stop and be able to accelerate
Old 01-21-2019, 03:46 PM

Well it still won't shift out of second until 35mph but now it's a hard shift and apparently there's gas in the oil now would it be the head gasket?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:01 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Well it still won't shift out of second until 35mph but now it's a hard shift and apparently there's gas in the oil now would it be the head gasket?

Also a faulty throttle position sensor can cause shifting issues..

How to test TPS.
TPS TESTING

You may have one or more of these Physical Symptoms:

1) The engine loses power and is stalling.
2) The engine will idle, but may die as soon as you press the gas pedal. When driving, it seems as if all power is gone.
3) Sometimes it feels as if the transmission is failed or isn't shifting properly, if at all. If you quickly jump on the gas you might be able to get the transmission to shift, but it won’t shift properly by itself. Shifting manually, the transmission goes through all the gears.

NOTE: The throttle position sensor is also DIRECTLY involved with transmission shifting characteristics. The TPS function should be verified early in the troubleshooting process, when a transmission issue is suspected.

TPS TEST

You should have 5 volts going into the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). It is best to use an analog meter (not digital) to see if the transition from idle to WOT is smooth with no dead spots. With your meter set for volts, put the black probe on a good ground like your negative battery terminal. With the key on, engine not running, test with the red probe of your meter (install a paper clip into the back of the plug of the TPS) to see which wire has the 5 volts. At idle, TPS output voltage should be greater than .26 volts but less than .95 volts. Move the throttle and look for smooth meter response up to the 4.49 at WOT. The other wire will be the ground and should show no voltage.

Perform the test procedure again and wiggle and/or tap on the TPS while you watch the meter. If you notice any flat spots or abrupt changes in the meter readings, replace the TPS.

The TPS is sensitive to heat, moisture, and vibration, leading to the failure of some units. The sensor is a sealed unit and cannot be repaired only replaced. A TPS may fail gradually leading to a number of symptoms which can include one or more of the following:

-Poor idle control: The TPS is used by the ECU to determine if the throttle is closed and the car should be using the Idle Air Control Valve exclusively for idle control. A fault TPS sensor can confuse the ECU causing the idle to be erratic or "hunting".

- High Idle Speed: The TPS may report faulty values causing the engine idle speed to be increased above normal. This is normally found in conjunction with a slow engine return to idle speed symptom.

-Slow engine return to idle: A failing TPS can report the minimum throttle position values incorrectly which can stop the engine entering idle mode when the throttle is closed. Normally when the throttle is closed the engine fuel injectors will be deactivated until a defined engine RPM speed is reached and the engine brought smoothly to idle speed. When failing a TPS will not report the throttle closed and fueling will continue causing the engine to return to idle very slowly.

-Engine Hesitation on Throttle Application: The TPS is also used by the ECU to determine if the driver has applied the throttle quicker than the Manifold Air Pressure sensor can read. The fueling is adjusted accordingly to cope with the sudden increase in air volume, however a faulty sensor can cause the ECU to ignore this data and the engine will "hesitate" when applying the throttle. In extreme cases with the engine at idle, a sudden application of full throttle can stall the engine.

- Engine Misfire: A faulty TPS can report values outside the acceptable range causing the ECU to incorrectly fuel the engine. This is noticeable as a slight misfire and can trigger the misfire detection software and/or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) light on the dashboard. Extreme cases can cause excessive misfires resulting in one or more cylinders being shut down to prevent engine and catalytic converter damage.

Advanced Notice: I originally posted before my second cup of coffee and copied/pasted the test wrong test info ....

CPS Testing

TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines

1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (SEE Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

TESTING PROCECURE for 1987 – 1990 4.0 L engines

Test # 1

Get a volt/ohm meter and set it to read 0 - 500 ohms. Unplug the CPS and measure across the CPS connector's A & B leads. Your meter should show a CPS resistance of between 125 - 275 ohms. If the CPS is out of that range by much, replace it.

Test # 2

You'll need a helper for this one. Set the volt/ohm meter to read 0 - 5 AC volts or the closest AC Volts scale your meter has to this range. Measure across the CPS leads for voltage generated as your helper cranks the engine. (The engine can't fire up without the CPS connected but watch for moving parts just the same!) The meter should show .5 - .8 VAC when cranking. (That's between 1/2 and 1 volt AC.) If it's below .5vac, replace it.

Last edited by Dumajones; 01-21-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Gas in the oil is almost certainly not a head gasket (I guess it's possible, but highly unlikely), usual cause seems to be leaky injectors. However, considering your symptoms, it seems like a faulty TPS "incorrectly fueling" the engine is a real possibility.

Do as Dumasjones suggests and test your TPS.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Gas in the oil is almost certainly not a head gasket (I guess it's possible, but highly unlikely), usual cause seems to be leaky injectors. However, considering your symptoms, it seems like a faulty TPS "incorrectly fueling" the engine is a real possibility.

Do as Dumasjones suggests and test your TPS.
i have already replaced the tps
Old 01-22-2019, 08:44 AM
Moderator CF K9-unit

i have already replaced the tps
You didn't mention you replaced the TPS.. Help us out here,,We are not mind readers,,
What have you all done replacing/ or testing.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:29 AM

You didn't mention you replaced the TPS.. Help us out here,,We are not mind readers,,
What have you all done replacing/ or testing.
i have replaced the tps but it's still throwing tps high and low voltage codes and a transmission malfunction and i adjusted the tb cable and now it's shifting hard and still wont shift out of second until 35mph and now there's gas in the oil, i will be changing the oil today and the spark plugs and coil packs were replaced before i bought it

Last edited by Stepley; 01-22-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:16 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

i have replaced the tps but it's still throwing tps high and low voltage codes and a transmission malfunction and i adjusted the tb cable and now it's shifting hard and still wont shift out of second until 35mph and now there's gas in the oil, i will be changing the oil today and the spark plugs and coil packs were replaced before i bought it
Go in the cab and push the gas pedal hard to the floor with Jeep not running.. That should adjust the TV cable. Should help the hard shift.

Im still thinking TPS is wonky or not up to spec since its throwing codes.. Did you replace with OEM TPS or generic one from the shelf?
(((The throttle position sensor is also DIRECTLY involved with transmission shifting characteristics! It should be verified early in the troubleshooting.)))

Look up cleaning ground points on the XJ in google,, do that also. Do the simple first before going into shift solenoid testing.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:26 PM

Go in the cab and push the gas pedal hard to the floor with Jeep not running.. That should adjust the TV cable. Should help the hard shift.

Im still thinking TPS is wonky or not up to spec since its throwing codes.. Did you replace with OEM TPS or generic one from the shelf?
(((The throttle position sensor is also DIRECTLY involved with transmission shifting characteristics! It should be verified early in the troubleshooting.)))

Look up cleaning ground points on the XJ in google,, do that also. Do the simple first before going into shift solenoid testing.
ill get the codes ran again and give the numbers
Old 01-22-2019, 05:29 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

ill get the codes ran again and give the numbers
Okay cool...