Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 JEEP CHEROKEE 4.0 ignition Coil Pack & spark plug advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 JEEP CHEROKEE 4.0 ignition Coil Pack & spark plug advice

First I hope I posting in the right place?If not I am sorry.
I have a 2001 JEEP CHEROKEE 4.0 that has been sitting in my driveway for a few years.First I need major tune up so I would like to order ignition coil pack & spark plugs I am having friend mechanic putting them in.What make should I order any different ones any variety? I don't mind spending a little more for better performance.What make spark plugs and do the come pre gaped.I will also need a new float for gas tank.
Thanks
Old 10-21-2018, 02:11 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Okay, you can go to rockauto.com and choose many different ones that suit you budget, but I prefer NGK because I have their products on both my jeeps and they provide good service and are reasonable in price. Be sure to get plug boots and springs as well. I also use NGK ZFR5N spark plugs in both. They do come pregapped, but it's best to check them in case they were changed during shipment. They should be torqued when you install them because they can tend to loosen up if not tight enough. If they loosen, not only will you loose compression, but they will overheat causing them to break down or melt the rubber boot.

The fuel tank float is part of the pump module so before replacing that, check the harness connector plug for broken wires. In other words, don't drop the tank unless you have to!

After sitting for a couple of years, be sure to check all the rubber hoses, especially vacuum hoses, for cracks. Also the fuel cap. EVAP leaks can be a PITA to fix.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

*Plug gap is .035. I also like NGK spark plug for the 00-01 XJ.

*I would definitely try to siphon all of the old gas out of your tank as after a few years that gas is bad news for your fuel system, fuel injectors, etc.

*Get a new battery in there; your battery is likely done for if stored for years.

*Change the oil for sure and possibly do a drain and fill of anti-freeze.

*Post up any symptoms or codes that may appear and we'll try to help you out!

Last edited by tjwalker; 10-21-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help I will be going with NGK coil pack and spark plugs etc If you could help me with this I tried to figure out if I have to buy plug boots and springs or comes with it or its add on? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1373666&jsn=30 and I have to buy these BOOTS or not https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1373666&jsn=30

I e mailed rock auto and got this reply I also called and chatted with others never got clear answer
All of the information we have on the products we sell is listed on our website. Please see our Help page: Choosing a Part.
If you're not seeing the details you are looking for, we do not have them. That also means they are not important for fitment. The manufacturer always lists the details that will be important to determine if the part will fit your vehicle.

Thanks again
Old 10-22-2018, 04:24 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by nyc1836
Thanks for your help I will be going with NGK coil pack and spark plugs etc If you could help me with this I tried to figure out if I have to buy plug boots and springs or comes with it or its add on? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1373666&jsn=30 and I have to buy these BOOTS or not https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...1373666&jsn=30

I e mailed rock auto and got this reply I also called and chatted with others never got clear answer
All of the information we have on the products we sell is listed on our website. Please see our Help page: Choosing a Part.
If you're not seeing the details you are looking for, we do not have them. That also means they are not important for fitment. The manufacturer always lists the details that will be important to determine if the part will fit your vehicle.

Thanks again
The new rail will come with boots.