Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 GC Limited w/Quadra Drive- axle chatter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 GC Limited w/Quadra Drive- axle chatter?

Hi,
I just recently bought a 2001 jeep GC limited with 100k miles. when i bought it you could hear a slight whine in the front end when making tight turns (like in parking lot) I determined it was not the power steering but something in the front end and also heard what some people call axle chatter from the rear end, once again only when making tight turns. I did a bunch of research and found some posts from several years ago that described my issue almost perfectly and most people said it most likely was the wrong type of gear oil and once they replaced it, all was good. So that is what i did. I bought mobile 1 75 140 fully synthetic for the front and rear differentials. I bought the 247 transfer case oil from jeep, as well and their FM. So i changed all the fluids last weekend. did a test drive. once everything got warm the sound coming from the front end seemed to have disappeared, however the "axle chatter" front the rear end seems to be the same if not worse. Now in the old thread from 2010 someone said that Mobil 1 (which i did not learn until after the fact) did not work right in the quadra dive system, but the bottle did not say anything about not working in Jeeps. I then went to the mobile 1 web site and it says for some all wheel drive systems that their FM may not be enough and that you will experience axle chatter and to add more FM and the problem will go away. When i changed the oil in the front end i used 1/2 bottle or about 2oz of the jeep FM. the Jeep dealership also told me to add the FM to the transfer case which i added 1/2 bottle. I also added 1/2 bottle to the rear to start. then after the test drive I added the remaining 1/2 bottle and did another test drive and no change. So now to my question.
Does anyone know if the FM that it is the mobile 1 cause issues with their quadra drive system? by adding the jeep brand FM and that not helping is it possible that the mobile 1 FM is not "mixing" with the Jeep brand. I dont know if the whole issue is just the oil and if i should bite the bullet and buy the Jeep oil and start all over on the rear diff or if i have a more serious issue with the "clutch" for the quadra drive in the rear diff. When i had the cover off the Diff it looked to be in perfect condition. no excessive wear on the spider gears. they seemed to be lining up perfectly. So before I made this post i called Jeep back and asked their advice and all i got from them was "we dont use Mobile 1, so i can't comment on how it works" I am really hoping someone has had this similar issue and put different oil and got the issue resolved. Sorry for the long post but i was wanting to explain all the steps i have taken already and info i learned to in hopes not get a bunch of suggestions for stuff i have already tried . thanks for any advice.
BTW this jeep is in near perfect condition and appears to have zero oil leaks on the bottom. motor purs like a kitten (4.7 v-8) transmission shifts nice and smooth, no tears in front cv boots. no tire rub (stock size).
thanks.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

As you have a "Grand Cherokee", post your thread to the link I've posted below for best results.

These forums are platform specific and this one is for regular Cherokees (XJ). Good luck!

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f5/