Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 Cherokee Sport - new to us

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 Cherokee Sport - new to us

So, I just bought a 2001 4.0 automatic with 131k miles on it as a project for my teen drivers. I can tell it has some suspension issues to work through, but want input on what things I should look at doing out of the gate. Assume all of the fluids should be changed to start.

Not really interested in making a lot of mods as the teenage drivers will probably give it a short life expectancy. Just want it to be safe and reliable while they are in it. If it survives, it can be a toy for me later.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 V6

00-01s had the 0331 head casting flaw. Look and keep an eye on temp and coolant level(every time you start driving for the first week or so to be safe). What axles do you have, what's your plans?
General maintenance is key with these and can easily reach 300k if treated good. Suggest new plugs,fluids,oil change (with mopar,wix or purolator filter) new airfilter. Grease steering components. Check Tcase fluid....then go break her in: )
Old 08-26-2013, 11:45 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Check the water pump, make sure nothing is coming out of the weep hole as that is a sign it is on its way out. It's a very easy and cheap ($30) replacement if you do it yourself.

If the rear leafs are sagging just buy a new leaf pack, don't do an AAL.

If you're worried about safety, give the entire front end suspension a lookover. Check the steering components and make sure everything is snug and in working condition on the front.

Is the VC gasket leaking? That's a notorious leak on the 4.0 but it's an easy fix as well.

I bought my first Cherokee (I have a 2001 auto 4.0 as well ) as well and those are some things I learned about right off the bat.

If you want to see what rear axle you have, look at the rear diff. The Chrysler 8.25 has a flatter bottom (almost looks like the diff cover doesn't fit right) and the D35 is a bit more rounded. If you're uncertain post pics and all the awesome people here will chime in.

There's a wealth of knowledge on this forum so use the search function to your advantage!