Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 Cherokee 911! Check engine light flashing!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 Cherokee 911! Check engine light flashing!

I have a 2001 with 91k on it. Just bought it...

First 100 miles after a fill up the check engine light came on but it ran fine I figured it was the gas cap... Autozone ran it and said it was a cylinder 3 misfire and a relay failure no I don't remember the codes.

I got home and then had the dealer talk to me and he said to check the plugs. They were fine, he said it's fine to run if the lights solid but not if it's blinking. I've driven it another 100 miles with the light on and no real running issues.

What does happen, I drive some place and shut it down. Sometimes when I go back to leave after a few times of this it idles rough for a second and once I get going it's fine.

I leave the mall to go to another place. Park and go in, come out and start it up... It's a bit rough but I get going. 40 feet later the light blinks and I freak out but it's not running poorly.

I turn around and park in the lot and **** it down for a minute. I start it up again, no rough idle and no blinking light just the solid one. Help! I'm broke and in a bad way right now
Old 03-18-2010, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Didnt I just help you with pretty much the same question on Jeepforum?

Sounds like the Typical cyl 3 misfire. Print off the TSB I gave you on jeepforum (if that was you) and take it to the dealer...
Old 03-18-2010, 10:02 PM

Then why did it flash? They said flashing is a bad thing. The tsb doesn't mean crap to them I called and they said it's out if warranty and not a recall. We can't help you call Chrysler

it started up after going a few places and then it started a bit rough and then the cel started flashing. I shut it down and started it back up a minute later and it ran fine home. I'm scared to drive it now
Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 PM

I just started it up and no blinking light or rough idle I took it around the block a few times and it ran fine no blinking cel but it was still on. Wouldn't it run like *** if something serious was wrong?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:20 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L IL-6

Originally Posted by 11Past9
I just started it up and no blinking light or rough idle I took it around the block a few times and it ran fine no blinking cel but it was still on. Wouldn't it run like *** if something serious was wrong?
Probably not, if it is the injector issue then after you rev it a couple times it's supposed to run fine.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

If you read that link TSB I posted, you can see where it says the causes:
This condition may be most noticeable when the engine is restarted following a prior 10 to 20 minute heat soak in hot ambient conditions of approximately 32 C (90ºF)or higher.
This condition may be consistent with short city stop-and-go driving trips and can be aggravated by the use of fuel with a high ethanol content.

Depending upon various conditions a MIL may occur due to DTC P0303 - Cylinder #3 Misfire.
This condition may be caused by heat from the exhaust manifold that following engine shut down migrates to the area around injector #3 and causes fuel vapor to form within the injector. This in turn may cause a momentary misfire of cylinder #3 until the fuel vapor is cleared of injector #3.

The insulator sleeve lowers the injector #3 temperature to a point below which the fuel will not normally vaporize.

DIAGNOSIS:
1. If vehicle exhibits a rough idle, and if a misfire of cylinder #3 is observed following a 10 to 20 minute hot soak, perform the Repair Procedure.
In other words, It will only happen when it is really hot under the hood. Like after a 10-20 min drive/shutdown period.

I would see if you can make that shield on your own, or you may be able to buy it from the dealer (as someone noted in your origional thread), the PN is 56028371AA and it should not be too expensive, the instructions are in that TSB I sent you.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 PM

Old 03-18-2010, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by sgt.arafak
Probably not, if it is the injector issue then after you rev it a couple times it's supposed to run fine.
But that's what has been the problem that's why I freaked when it blinked. I go to a few different places and shut down and start up and shut down and start up then one of the times out of a few it idles rough on start up then I either put it in gear and go and rev and it goes away.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:56 AM

Brought it to autozone and now there's only one code: P0303

no relay code now just misfire maybe the relay code was the gas cap