Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 xj water leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2000 xj water leak

I have a water leak that seems to be coming from the top pass side of the windshield. I do have a small rust spot in that area but its not rotted through or anything bad. Its hard to pinpoint where the leak is coming from exactly because it ends up in the foam headliner and then drips down on each end by the doors. I also have a sunroof but thats been sealed shut with silicone and does not leak. Is it common for the top of the windshield tp leak on these trucks? I was going to peal back the rubber on the outside and fill the whole upper channel with tar or something similar. anyone else have this same leak?
Old 03-24-2015, 04:20 PM

I too have a 2000 XJ, but I'm not aware of any leaks. I've taken it through a car wash with no leaks.

Unfortunately, if you can see a little rust, there's a LOT of rust where you can't see it. And it's common for rusted areas around windshields to leak. (I'm restoring an old Mustang and this is a very common problem with those cars.)

If you want to keep this XJ for a while, I would recommend having the leak fixed correctly. The previous owner of my Mustang kept trying to fix the leaks with silicone and other compounds. All it did was make a mess and continue to leak which rusted out many areas of the car. I can easily see the same thing happening to your Jeep.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Klutch
I too have a 2000 XJ, but I'm not aware of any leaks. I've taken it through a car wash with no leaks.

Unfortunately, if you can see a little rust, there's a LOT of rust where you can't see it. And it's common for rusted areas around windshields to leak. (I'm restoring an old Mustang and this is a very common problem with those cars.)

If you want to keep this XJ for a while, I would recommend having the leak fixed correctly. The previous owner of my Mustang kept trying to fix the leaks with silicone and other compounds. All it did was make a mess and continue to leak which rusted out many areas of the car. I can easily see the same thing happening to your Jeep.
Thanks. Yeah I guess Im gonna have to bite the bullet and spend an afternoon spraying water to try and find the leak. And I know all about the hidden rust thing, Ive got a 67 camaro with similar issues as your mustang. My fix is to keep it out of the rain. LOL.