Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Driver's Door Window Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 2000 Jeep Cherokee Driver's Door Window Regulator

Hey guys, I could use your advise. I'm doing some work on my brother-in-law's 2000 Cherokee 4 door. The driver's window still works but it is making a lot of noise just as it gets to the top as well as the bottom of travel. I'm wondering if it simply needs lubricating, but there isn't much to lubricate as these don't have a "scissors assembly" but instead have a single channel that is driven by cables. Has anyone ever tried to lubricate one of these with it still installed in the door, or does it just make more sense to replace it and be done with it? A new one with a 10 year warranty is only $42 on e-bay - and the shipping is free. Thoughts?
Old 10-20-2018, 01:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Originally Posted by gr8biceps
Hey guys, I could use your advise. I'm doing some work on my brother-in-law's 2000 Cherokee 4 door. The driver's window still works but it is making a lot of noise just as it gets to the top as well as the bottom of travel. I'm wondering if it simply needs lubricating, but there isn't much to lubricate as these don't have a "scissors assembly" but instead have a single channel that is driven by cables. Has anyone ever tried to lubricate one of these with it still installed in the door, or does it just make more sense to replace it and be done with it? A new one with a 10 year warranty is only $42 on e-bay - and the shipping is free. Thoughts?
When you say a lot of noise to you mean like it is skipping? If so there is a little white nylon worm gear in there that get stripped. In my '00 the window would not stop trying to go up when it reached the closed position. You can buy the little white worm gear and replace it but I opted for just replacing the regulator.

Amazon Amazon

Thing is the first Dorman window regulator I bought crapped out in about 6 months. Was under warranty and since it is an easy job no big deal. The second one has been in there for about 4 years but you can tell it does not operate quite like a factory one. Since day one. So some day I might tale the original broken one I have and try using the kit to fix it. FYI.

Apparently it won't play here. Click on watch this video on Youtube and you can watch it there.

Last edited by Ralph77; 10-20-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:10 AM

Default Reply....

Hi Ralph, thanks for the fast reply. Sounds like you’re an expert on this subject. 😊. I haven’t actually heard the window operating myself - my sister mentioned it to me. As I live 2 hours away from them, I want to be able to fix it once i take the door panel off, so wanted to be prepared and buy the parts ahead of time and just be done with it. Thanks for the link to the kit. As the repair kit costs $69 versus buying an entirely new regulator/motor assembly for only $42 that has a 10 year warranty, it probably makes more sense to just order the new one and replace it altogether. (Part is listed on e-bay for $42.37, free shipping and 10 year warranty, seller’s name is “am-autoparts” located in Pepperell, MS.)

Is the $69 kit addressing the same thing that the “cotter pin” solution addresses?

Thanks again!

Last edited by gr8biceps; 10-20-2018 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Add imagr
Old 10-20-2018, 04:25 AM
CF Veteran

Hi Ralph, thanks for the fast reply. Sounds like you’re an expert on this subject. 😊. I haven’t actually heard the window operating myself - my sister mentioned it to me. As I live 2 hours away from them, I want to be able to fix it once i take the door panel off, so wanted to be prepared and buy the parts ahead of time and just be done with it. Thanks for the link to the kit. As the repair kit costs $69 versus buying an entirely new regulator/motor assembly for only $42 that has a 10 year warranty, it probably makes more sense to just order the new one and replace it altogether. Is the kit addressing the same thing that the “cotter pin” solution addresses?
Unsure what you mean by cotter pin solution. Not an expert just had to do one. Swapping out the driver's front door regulator is a straight forward job. Least it was for me. And yeah if you are experiencing the same the problem I was a new regulator is much easier. Like I said I was only toying with the idea of using the kit on my old regulator. I get bored sometimes.

Couple other small things. Might want to invest in something like this.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...ool/103001_0_0

or this.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-piec...set-67021.html

Just makes it a little easier to pry the door panel off. Also chances are you will need some of the door panel clips.
These are the ones I use:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6...?interchange=1
Old 10-20-2018, 05:21 AM

Default Cotter pin solution “how to” link

Hi Ralph, someone actually came up with a solution where they substitute two cotter pins in lieu of that metal, bracketed replacement worm gear that would replace the original plastic one that always breaks off over time - not a very good OEM design:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...ulator_Fix.htm

i found a listing on e-bay for the metal bracketed replacement worm gear for just $22, instead of the $69 version on Amazon, but I think in the interest of time, I’ll just replace the entire assembly for $44.37. It comes with a 10 year warranty so you really can’t go wrong.

Thanks for the info - you were a big help. Now I am pretty sure what is wrong before I even take the door panel off.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:24 AM
CF Veteran

Hi Ralph, someone actually came up with a solution where they substitute two cotter pins in lieu of that metal, bracketed replacement worm gear that would replace the original plastic one that always breaks off over time - not a very good OEM design:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...ulator_Fix.htm

i found a listing on e-bay for the metal bracketed replacement worm gear for just $22, instead of the $69 version on Amazon, but I think in the interest of time, I’ll just replace the entire assembly for $44.37. It comes with a 10 year warranty so you really can’t go wrong.

Thanks for the info - you were a big help. Now I am pretty sure what is wrong before I even take the door panel off.
I was not aware of that method. Good to know. Yeah I just find links to illustrate what I am talking about. On you to find the best price. LOL. But that kit at $69 was for two doors. $40 for one. Still $22 is better.

Last edited by Ralph77; 10-20-2018 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:19 AM

If I knew for sure before taking it out that the worm gear was definitely the problem, I might go with the replacement bracket as it obviously is a better design, but once I take that regulator out, I want to be able to fix it right then and there and be done with it. That’s what’s so annoying about working on window regulators. You have to remove the whole assembly in order to see what’s wrong. Now that it’s out, you don’t want to have to put it back in, wait for the correct parts to come in, etc.