Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0 Tap/Knock

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation 2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0 Tap/Knock

On Feb 3rd I cut a corner short and dropped in a snow covered hole with the passenger rear tire. I kept going, didn't get stuck or stop. A few seconds later there was a tap/knock in the engine area. There was no loss of power and no miss in the engine. Oil pressure remains at its usual place around 40.
We got to checking things out yesterday afternoon and the tap/knock is can be felt in the purge solenoid on the firewall. The plate between the engine and tranny seems to be okay. The noise can be felt in the oil pan as well as heard in several places on the engine.
Our next thought is to pull the valve cover and check the rockers.
I should mention that this Jeep has over 173,000 miles on it and appeared to be "abused" before I got it almost 3 years ago. It also has an oil leak we believe may be the rear main in the engine.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:28 AM

Took it out today and Oil pressure is running from just under 30 at idle to almost 50 under load.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by LisaETiger
Took it out today and Oil pressure is running from just under 30 at idle to almost 50 under load.

mine

Last edited by nujeepguy; 04-23-2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 PM

Mine always had a rattle on start up that went away when the oil got circulated.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

If you're looking for reassurance that this is normal. .. you'll have about 500 positive posts.. especially for omega people who live with the white stuff. .. the peeps from Arizona and Florida have different issues... usually overheating.
This is the reason. I have an auto starter. To let it warm up a bit while I get dressed for work. Circulates the oil, makes my baby happy.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

And yes... sometimes I have to autostart it twice. It's old. Maybe the battery, maybe the juice the starter pulls.. etc.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Mine always had a rattle on start up that went away when the oil got circulated.
yep, from what I understand that's pretty common on 4.0s
Old 02-14-2017, 06:01 AM

I understand some noise is normal but there is a new noise that started a week and a half ago and wondering what it could be.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:00 PM

On Feb 3rd I cut a corner short and dropped in a snow covered hole with the passenger rear tire. I kept going, didn't get stuck or stop. A few seconds later there was a tap/knock in the engine area. There was no loss of power and no miss in the engine. Oil pressure remains at its usual place around 40.
We got to checking things out yesterday afternoon and the tap/knock is can be felt in the purge solenoid on the firewall. The plate between the engine and tranny seems to be okay. The noise can be felt in the oil pan as well as heard in several places on the engine.
Our next thought is to pull the valve cover and check the rockers.
I should mention that this Jeep has over 173,000 miles on it and appeared to be "abused" before I got it almost 3 years ago. It also has an oil leak we believe may be the rear main in the engine.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
At different times it sounds different....a loud tick most of the time...sometimes a vaccuum leak....sometimes metallic noise......
Old 02-14-2017, 08:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

My guess is that the big bang on the vehicle gave you a small exhaust leak at the manifold to block, or at the header. They change in sound depending on temperature. It will often sound like tick, sometime metallic, sometimes not. Its just a guess, but if it started right after your vehicle got pounded and the motor and exhaust got jolted, its a reasonable guess.

Now you said you could feel it in the purge solenoid. You can probably disconnect the solenoid to rule that in/out as the source. But if you feel the tick through the oil pan or valve cover, I'm doubtful its the purge solenoid. At least in my experience, it isn't that powerful of a tick to resonate like that. But test it if you aren't sure.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
My guess is that the big bang on the vehicle gave you a small exhaust leak at the manifold to block, or at the header. They change in sound depending on temperature. It will often sound like tick, sometime metallic, sometimes not. Its just a guess, but if it started right after your vehicle got pounded and the motor and exhaust got jolted, its a reasonable guess.

Now you said you could feel it in the purge solenoid. You can probably disconnect the solenoid to rule that in/out as the source. But if you feel the tick through the oil pan or valve cover, I'm doubtful its the purge solenoid. At least in my experience, it isn't that powerful of a tick to resonate like that. But test it if you aren't sure.
A vacuum leak in the rear was also suggested
Old 02-16-2017, 05:49 PM

Year: 2000

A vacuum leak in the rear was also suggested
can you post a video of the sound?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:50 AM

Well, the sound got quieter when we change #3 spark plug...it was corroded and so was the boot. The vibration in the purge solenoid is now gone.
I'm wondering if you can just change one boot or do you have to change the whole stupid bar....
Old 02-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Well, the sound got quieter when we change #3 spark plug...it was corroded and so was the boot. The vibration in the purge solenoid is now gone.
I'm wondering if you can just change one boot or do you have to change the whole stupid bar....
You can change one..

here

http://www.partsgeek.com/vm8jgk6-jee...+Coil+Boot+Kit
Old 02-22-2017, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dumajones
How hard of a job is it?