Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2" Rubicon Lift Kit + 31" Goodyear MT/Rs

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default 2" Rubicon Lift Kit + 31" Goodyear MT/Rs

I have a 2000 Cherokee Classic 4x4 with factory 16" alloy wheels, upcountry kit (limited slip, heavy duty springs, transmission cooler, skid plates. tow hooks). I wanted something more trail-worthy, but still comfortable and economical on the road. The combination of Rublicon Express 2" lift (with rear wedges, not shackles), Rubicon shocks, AKS sway bar disconnect, and superb Goodyear 31" MT/R tires works very well.

Dealer service, Quadratech, was bad. Essentially, all parts shipped were out of spec or incorrect, and new parts were supplied only after the old parts were picked up. Also, I had to act as go-between with the manufacturers. At the end, I still had the wrong front shock bushings, so I used my old ones: you guys won!

Before the lift, I would get about 22.5 mpg on the interstate, A/C on, 65 mph. After, and accurately measuring distance (4.2% correction) I get about 19.3 mpg same conditions. Vehicle height (measured to sill under the front doors, next to the seam) was 17 1/4" prior to lift and 19 5/8" afterwards. Even though my Cherokee has the low pinion Dana 30, after the lift I had zero driveline vibration and no alignment change. Tires clear well with maybe a hint of touching when greatly flexed - swaybar disconnected.

How is it offroad? Went out bouldering with a hard core group, all with 33s and lockers. Rated 3.3/5.0. I kept up easily with no bottoming. I especially love the tires, and the Rubicon shocks are both smooth and well-controlled.
Attached Images   
Old 08-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

You're running stock rims on 31" tires? Are you rubbing? I heard that the backspacing is wrong with factory rims and 31's. I have 30's and mine seem about as tight as I could go with the factory rims.

Great looking jeep though!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:14 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L w/ AFE stage 2, bored TB

Those blocks will kil your leafs quicker than the shackle wouldve.

Look into some Quadratec HD leafs for the rear if u wanna stay at 2".

It looks really good though. Keep those tire rotated or they'll get LOUD!!!

What's next?
Old 08-04-2009, 09:22 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by kidkodiak
You're running stock rims on 31" tires? Are you rubbing? I heard that the backspacing is wrong with factory rims and 31's. I have 30's and mine seem about as tight as I could go with the factory rims.

Great looking jeep though!
On a hard right turn, the right front tire just touches the right lower control arm - I see a shiny spot about 1/2" long, but am not aware of any problems in daily driving on or off road. And the 2 front tires, offroad, aired down to 18 psi, sway bar disconnected, just touch the spring towers, not enough to rub off the paint. The back tires don't touch anything.

And in the photo you can see a little dimple; when the sway bar is connected it can just kiss the fenderwell - when offroading.

Bob
Old 08-04-2009, 09:37 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by broncofire75
Those blocks will kil your leafs quicker than the shackle wouldve.

Look into some Quadratec HD leafs for the rear if u wanna stay at 2".

It looks really good though. Keep those tire rotated or they'll get LOUD!!!

What's next?
So far the rear springs are great - 120,000 miles, lots offroad (I'm a geologist). And a couple of times airborne. Maybe the heavy duty springs I have are better than the standard springs, and I've never hauled any heavy loads.

I guess next I would want some kind of locker or limited slip at the front. But I don't want auto lockers - seen 4x4s with auto lockers lose steering control on snow, mud, and ice. And I want to maintain good road manners and good mpg. Any suggestions?

What? My tires going to get noisier? Now you tell me!

Bob
Old 08-05-2009, 01:01 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

i have a 3in lift from rustys offroad and 31x10.50s mtrs, and i clear everything offroad i love the setup offroad
Old 08-05-2009, 01:02 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

i hope they work for u as weel as they do me