Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2.5TD crankshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2.5TD crankshaft position sensor

Hi there,

It's time to stop lurking and join the fun!
It's a sign of the quality of advice available here, that I was able to find all the information I needed to salvage a Cherokee bound for the scrapyard.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time gathering some info, and was hoping you good folks are able to help me out.
I live in Northern Ireland, which means Cherokee XJ's are very rare, AND it's a manual transmission 2.5 Turbo Diesel (Which is very rare for most of you)

Since I acquired this Jeep, the vehicle often cuts out. I learned to drive in a manner that prevents most cut-outs, because it's predictable.

When the revs are high, and then drop suddenly and quickly (For instance when depressing the clutch to stop at a junction or to change gear) she'll cut out.
I can prevent it by staying in gear until the revs hit about a 1000, and then gently depressing the clutch (Coming close to stalling the engine), or (In the case of changing gear) getting it into the next gear as quick as possible before the revs drop too much. Obviously, not a great situation when you suddenly need to brake, or are too slow changing gear.

From reading the forums, it's clear that the Crankshaft Position Sensor is a likely culprit. So, I intend to replace this.
The issue is that while I have been able to find plenty of CPS's for sale for 2.5l, 4l engines, none of them list whether they are for Petrol, Diesel, or both. Trying to find out the part-number of my current CPS, has led to a dead-end.

So, after all that rambling, I would like to find out if:
a) you folks agree that it's likely the CPS at fault here
b) you can advise me if the CPS is the exact same regardless of fuel-type
c) anyone has the correct partnumber for a 98 2.5TD XJ (To ensure correct replacement part.)

Your efforts and contributions are very much appreciated, and I hope to be able to offer some advice back some day, as I gain XJ experience! (I drove Landrovers until now...)

Kind regards,

Anthonio

Last edited by aakkermans; 05-01-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

good luck. I'll be watching this thread closely since I have the same issue
Old 05-01-2012, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I'm almost Zero help here. The CPS does provide info for injector pulse. Also it's a magnet that can get funky, especially in a manual with clutch dust ect. in there. You might first simply try cleaning it!

They are tricky little ****'s. The modern incarnation of the trickster
condenser. They seem capable of anything.

I've heard parts there can be a problem. Crusier from here, working at a Jeep dealer was told a trick. On the earlier Renix Jeeps, the mount holes on the CPS can be made a tad larger with the next drill bit that won't fit, then mounted with downward pressure to end up with it a little closer. Maybe something to try before canning your old, newer one? This can up, the AC output voltage from this two wire sensor nearer the .4, .5+ Volt goal. (this is from the sensor, unplugged.) Yours has three wires and a 5 V feed from your computer, and is tested "back probing" with it hooked up. Below is something I found...Idk.

I assume you have checked your fuel pressure. Also, Idk on the 2.5. On the 4.0 all sorts of crucial things, (ECM, PCU, TCU, SENSORS, INJECTORS) All ground at one spot on the dipstick mount. I just pulled mine apart, cleaned all of them good with #400 and assembled with dielectric grease. You might check yours, as well as the engine to body ground('s). Like allot of guys I added one to be on the safe side.

I recently found this link on testing the later, OBD II CPS, which may well apply to yours. I haven't tried it, don't know anyone who has. It looks like he's verifying Edit:I think I put the incorrect voltage..OK 1/3 Volt or around 330 Mil.Volts), presumably AC, (with a true RMS meter), (back-probing, with it connected), at his third (Red) wire. (not the ground, and not the 5V-DC sensor feed), (engine running) I don't know what % difference I would expect from my "cheap-o-meter", as opposed to the true RMS, but it might not be much. It's about at the 7 minute mark, in the first video where he is actually metering the CPS voltage. >> http://www.cherokeetech.com/VBull/sh...agnosis-Videos

Best of luck to you there across the pond.
Attached Thumbnails 2.5TD crankshaft position sensor-101_0093.jpg  

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-25-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

First crawl in there and see if you even have a sensor mounted somewhere on the bellhousing...
Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 AM

Thanks for the tips and advice.
I'll get onto it, and report back!

Regarding Hankthetank's comment,...
You're right... I know enough to (with a lot of help from Google and friends) tinker on land rovers and jeeps and fix most things, but I'm certainly no expert, and did wonder if the diesels have a CPS. Unfortunately, Diesels being fairly rare, it was information I wasn't able to find (so far). I figured someone would probably tell me on this forum as a reply to my last post if 2.5TD doesn't have a CPS.
Luckily, it seems Fedx95 found one ;-) so I'm not a complete idiot! I'll have a closer look too!

Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-03-2012, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

You might find something useful, or even contact someone here. ???

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/nee...diesel-107438/
Old 05-04-2012, 03:39 PM

Much appreciated DFlintstone!

Have been busy replacing the axle, and some other (more) pressing issues, but am expecting to get into the who CPS thing very soon.
BTW, did locate a CPS on the bell housing... Planning to take it off first, and give it a good clean. Perhaps I'll be able to find a part-number too!

All the best, and thanks again!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:22 PM
CF Veteran

Tie a long string on the connector first. Get with your feet sticken squqreish under the passenger side. Might be 7/16-11mm, socket to 3 in extension to a universal, to looong extensions. You can reach up with your left arm past the drive line to reach it. (if your arm fits) Your right on the ratchet ends up back near the cross-member. Right here is where you don't drop something in there. If it has that plastic or whatever thing , can it. You can then use the string to haul the ...back up.

The second time it's really easy.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-04-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: time it's
Old 05-15-2012, 05:29 AM

Hi,
Greetings from Australia.

I have a 98XJ 2.5 TD and I have exactly the same problem.

Curious if you had any updates to share and whether you had been able to determine a part number or specifications/manufacturer for the CPS?
- I called the local jeep dealership here and they could not find a part number in their system..

Cheers, Chris.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 AM

Default VM 2.5 xj in limp mode

Hi to aussie
Me to. I have a 2000 xj and it drops power at 2000 rpm. I had taken the a/c evaporator out and tried to start it before reconnecting the big plug near the fuel filter. I think it has gone into limp mode but not to sure. As you well know its nearly impossible to find anyone who knows anything about the VM Diesel in Australia. I would greatly appreciate any leads you may have on anyone knowledgable with this model. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cheezel
Hi,
Greetings from Australia.

I have a 98XJ 2.5 TD and I have exactly the same problem.

Curious if you had any updates to share and whether you had been able to determine a part number or specifications/manufacturer for the CPS?
- I called the local jeep dealership here and they could not find a part number in their system..

Cheers, Chris.
Ha! A fellow Diesel driver! ;-)

No, sorry, I have not yet found the problem, as I've had no time to go through the list as suggested in previous posts.
I also did not manage to get a part-number, but I did have a good look (feel) up there It looks/feels the same as the CPS's you get for the petrol engines (Which would make sense) Here's a link to a generic image:
http://4x4point.com.au/cart/images/cps9496a.JPG

I hope to finally take mine off, and replace it in a couple of weeks. Will update this thread then.

Rustic's post is, unfortunately, unrelated. Rustic; you started your own thread too. I replied in there with a similar incident I had.

Anthonio
Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Ya know..thinking about it, I don't see why the diesel would need to be different. It's nothing but a new fangled, old fashioned timing mark. Sure the signal is processed differently. If it physically looks the same, bolt spacing, and the location of the sensor on it's plate!, it's probably the same.

I mention the location on the plate because there are special high attitude, or advanced timing ones out there where the positioning is different.

Of course I don't know, was just "thinking out loud!" D.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:24 AM

Cheers All,

FYI I just ordered this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Crank-Sha...item5647e178a4

- Seemed about the cheapest I could find, here in AUS, they ae charging ~$130 - this is $12 USD plus $9 USD shipping -- convert to AUS and its about $22 AUD delivered.

I'm also a member of an AUS based jeep forum which has a bit of useful information around the 2.5TD - there is a sticky with alot of useful parts info and some very knowledgeable folks too! Check it out: http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...play.php?f=123

On the parts sticky, there is a link to the 2.5TD parts listing, which tells me that the CPS is the same part # as the petrol 4.0L -- link to parts manual (courtesy MudMonster): http://oskin.msk.ru/pub/chrysler-dod...97-01/99X1.pdf -- site is Russian, manual is english.

Cheers, other than the CPS replacement - which will prolly take 3 weeks to arrive, i'm thinking it is more likely that I have a air leak in my fuel system, so i'm going to bleed the filter (only recently replaced), then the pump (just a banjo bolt to loosen) then the fuel lines into the inectors themselves.. If I get enthusiastic, after doing this might look to check fuel rail pressure but might take me a bit to get to that

Win.

Last edited by Cheezel; 05-25-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:08 PM

Default Wrong sensor...

Hi,

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, so hopefully all good?

I just wanted to share an update that I received my sensor that I ordered off ebay and its the incorrect type.

I pulled my CPS out this morning and its a different beast altogether.
- The only number that I can see printed on it is (refer pics):
If I pump this into google, i get various European sites such as:
http://www.jeep-stock.com/1664-capte...aut-p0320.html

This is seemingly the correct part number.

Here is another thread from this forum where a guy broke his, ordered the incorrect part too..
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/cra...-repair-42238/

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails 2.5TD crankshaft position sensor-td_cps.jpg   2.5TD crankshaft position sensor-end_connectors.jpg  
Old 06-09-2012, 01:38 AM
CF Veteran

Cheezl. It's late, got no energy, and not that it would matter if I did. The Pre 91, that's up to 90 might use the two wire. They are just a fancy coil that makes AC. (using a hall effect transducer which does that with nothing but gaps in the flywheel)

91 on is three wires incorporates a 5 volt feed from a PCM. (The earlier brain is referred to as an ECU.

It makes no scene at all that the metal bracket is backwards. I smell meth. The curve, I believe matches the curve of the bell-housing/flywheel. It might not be imposable for a tweeker to have actually reversed the bracket.

I didn't read it all it all,... no, don't worry about "thread jacking" here, not an issue.

You are gonna need three wires if you are three wire, and two if you are two. If you have two wires, I might guess any that will fit have a good chance of working.

My 90 Renix looks like this. Note it's two wire, but the connector has three sockets. I don't see your year listed. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails 2.5TD crankshaft position sensor-101_0207.jpg  

Last edited by DFlintstone; 06-09-2012 at 01:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 2.5TD crankshaft position sensor