Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2.5 vm diesel valves not moving as they should

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:49 PM
djk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2.5 vm diesel valves not moving as they should

hi i have just bought a cherokee 2.5 td with the old vm 8 valve engine in it 4x seperate heads 1x head gasket (1996), i was considering breaking the car but it is so clean it deserves to go back on the road. i bought it with the knowledge that something was wrong with no 1 cylinder, it does not fire at all, i checked fuel it is injecting ie glow plug soaked other cylinders dry,snap open the other injector pipes and the engine dies, snap open number ones injector nothing happens runs rough thumping sound from air feed pipe going to the centre of the turbo, i took the rocker cover off to find one snapped rocker assembly bolt, other one bent, they had even managed to sheer the bolt holding the cover on! the rockers were barely touching the valves, i managed to extract the broken part of the bolts, re fitted everything as it sould be re started the engine and it still isn't working/ i noted that the very first push rod very loose alarmingly so 5-7 mm play and the travel for the rocker arms seemed insufficient. anyone have any ideas? i know very little about jeeps but have worked on the crd vm engine recently. is this engine prone to collapsing followers for example? i have now removed the head and will strip the other 3 off tomorrow as i will need to replace the head gasket. many thanks for any ideas i just dont want to scrap it if i can avoid it, regards Dave.