Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2.1L TD

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2.1L TD

Hi,I need an advise about 89 cherokee 2.1L turbo diesel!
I recently have the engine overhauled,however it still uses oil and smokes a lot.It used to overheat before the overhaule, it seems ok now but lacks power and makes a lot of noise.It is also hard to find its parts, I live in Turkey and also no one knows how to fix and wants to fix this vehicle.Is it posible to put 2.8 CRD engine on it and if the answer is yes,how?
Thank you very much.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kesm
Hi,I need an advise about 89 cherokee 2.1L turbo diesel!
I recently have the engine overhauled,however it still uses oil and smokes a lot.It used to overheat before the overhaule, it seems ok now but lacks power and makes a lot of noise.It is also hard to find its parts, I live in Turkey and also no one knows how to fix and wants to fix this vehicle.Is it posible to put 2.8 CRD engine on it and if the answer is yes,how?
Thank you very much.
in my experience with them, they like to use oil, and don't have much for power.

is their oil in your coolant? or vice-versa? or is it just using oil?

does it leak? could be the oiler lines for the turbo are leaking, plugged, or fouled...that would explain the lack of power as well as using oil. actually, that wouuld probably be one of the best bets. If the oil lines were plugged or fouled, it could cause oil to be sucked into the intake and make BIG troubles for your little diesel.

a 2.8 CRD will require a new transmission, which means new driveshafts and transfercase, custom motor mounts, custom intake, custom exhaust, custom intercooler, and TONS of custom wiring.

-Pat
Old 12-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 5.9

I dont know much about your specific engine but I do know one of the biggest problems ive seen with turbos is the oil lines, if they are clogged or leaking you could have burned out the turbo in wich case you would have white smoke from the exhaust wich is caused by unburned fuel. If the engine was just rebuilt there shouldnt be any other smoke and I would check to see that all the fittings from the turbo to the intake are good and tight with no leaks as that could make the turbo pretty much useless
Old 12-12-2009, 03:49 PM

Thank you,I'll take that advice for no swap.