Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 XJ New Struts maybe new Leaf Springs? Lift length?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6.0L
Default 1999 XJ New Struts maybe new Leaf Springs? Lift length?

I wanted some advice on a 1999 Cherokee XJ with 250k miles. I have been noticing that when I back out of driveways and hit speed bumps at low speeds I hear a creaking coming from the back of the vehicle (when back wheels go over). I do not haul much in the jeep but want it to be safe. I do not off road but my Indiana winters it sees moderate snow.

So I decided that I would first put new shocks on it since I dont know if/when it was ever done. So 2 questions:

1. Am I going about this wrong? I see no damage to the leaf springs, does a 18 year old XJ just creak and squeak all the time?

2. If I wanted to replace the shocks I see things like "Shocks good for 0"-4" lift" and "Shocks good for 4.5-6.5" lift". like Ebay item 130865762264 What is it all about? At first I figured I had 0" of lift since it is stock, but im sure the stock jeep has SOME lift, I mean, it isn't rigid.

Thank you for advice! I would be installing them myself, I am mechanically/ technically proficient.

Last edited by malvarez10; 12-17-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Could be noticing from a few different things... but could just be bushings. And yes as vehicle age, they all develop little things like that.

as for the shocks, if your XJ is at stock height... then order shocks that are specifically for that ride height. The other sizes you mentioned for different amounts of lift, are for vehicles with an actual lift kit on them. So those shocks are longer and have more travel. If you put a stock shock on one with lift, they would be too short, and you'd get to full extension with them...which over time would not be a good thing.

If you are planning on lifting your Jeep then that's one thing..but if you're keeping it stock height, order the stock length shocks and call it a day.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

'00 stock height. I just went with the Napa, rebranded Monroe, shocks. The better ones. Guessing they are OK. Been a few years now.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NS_3...earchIndex=App

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NS_3...earchIndex=App

You can probably do better pricewise somewhere else.
As far as checking your springs this is what I have read:

The answer is fairly easy if you have your factory flares on. You measure the distance from the center of the hub on the axle to the bottom of the flare. The distances for factory height is:

17 1/2" front
17" rear

Figure if this is correct maybe get an idea of what condition they are in.

As far as the creaking I feel that is normal just like RocketMouse said. I experienced the same thing. Mostly slow speeds pulling in and out of my driveway. Then one year I noticed I did not hear it anymore. At that point in time had Fluid Filmed under my Jeep for 3 seasons. Do it every October and wash it off in April. My thinking is that the Fluid Film actually creeped into between the springs and lubricated them after a fashion. Not like I did anything to actually try and make them not creak.

One more thing. Google snapping upper rear shock bolts in a XJ. Happens all the time and is no big deal. But you read up a little and you will know what to do if and when. I snapped both passenger ones but was able to get the driver's side out no problem.

Last edited by Ralph77; 12-18-2017 at 04:03 AM.