Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport Stiff Steering/Noise Issue

Old 06-06-2012, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport Stiff Steering/Noise Issue

Hey all,

I just purchased a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 with 138k miles on it. I noticed that while I am driving it makes a noise and I can feel vibration in my feet (shoes off) and in the steering wheel. The noise definitely corresponds to how rough the road is, and definitely doesn't sound right. It gets at it's worst around 50mph then quiets down once you hit 75+. It's not overly obnoxious, the Jeep doesn't shake at all, however it is annoying and definitely catches my attention. Additionally, my steering is stiff. The Jeep drives in a straight line, but after making a turn I have to manually turn the steering wheel back to its rightful position instead of it freely spinning back in place. Rack and power steering were checked by the previous owner (mechanic) and are said to be in good shape. He hadn't looked further into the issue than that. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking bad U-Joints? I've spent my entire auto hobby fixing up a 5.0 Mustang, I'm extremely new to the Jeep community.

I'll try and get a good recording of the noise and post a YouTube link to it later tonight.

Best of luck to you all.

Edit: Here's the video link.

Last edited by IUCherokee99; 06-06-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

A speed-dependent vibration and noise is often wheel balance or alignment. It could also be U-joints. Or ball joints. Or tie-rod ends. All of which affect alignment. Try to see if, once you get to vibration speed, do you notice the issue under throttle, while coasting, or both. Even if both, is there any discernible change to the noise or vibration if you let off the gas?

However, none of those things would cause your stiff steering issue, unless perhaps you have a seized u-joint in one of the front wheels.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:40 PM

There is absolutely no difference in the problem between when I hit the gas and when my foot is off the throttle.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:16 PM

Hmm...

Okay, so we know it is vehicle speed dependent, not engine speed dependent, so that rules out several things related to the engine and trans.

Also, you say it feels like its coming from the front end. Given this and the stiff steering issue you describe, I'd take a look at the front axle u-joints just inboard of each front wheel hub.

If your bearings were going out at one of the front wheels, I suppose you could get noise and vibration, but I don't think it would cause the steering issue. A warped brake rotor would cause vibration and noise, but you'd notice it all the time, and you'd have a definite shake in the steering wheel, but it still wouldn't cause the steering issue. Bad u-joint in the front driveshaft, or something up with the ring and pinion, or a bent axle shaft may cause issue, but again, only under certain condition and likely wouldn't cause the steering issue.

I'm still thinking you've got a possible seized u-joint at one of the wheels, assuming it's not a wheel/tire issue. It's the only thing I can think of that would affect steering and cause a vibration and noise that keeps time with the wheel rotation. However, you may have two distinct problems related to different components. If you had a tire that was delaminating (the tread layers are separating. VERY dangerous condition) it may cause those symptoms, and even have a tendency to change severity with vehicle speed.

Here's one thing you could quickly do to rule out tire/wheel issues. Swap the front wheels to the back and the back to the front. If you notice no change and it still seems to be coming from the front, you can at least rule out tire/wheel issues.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:03 PM

Thanks for the input, I'll give those suggestions a try this weekend and let you know how it goes.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

1. What are the tires like, as far as tread height & inflation.
2. Are they all the same brand & size?

Steering not returning after a turn could be someone cranked on the over center adjustment for the sector shaft in the box.

Sounds like multiple problems to me.

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 06-07-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by macgyver35
Here's one thing you could quickly do to rule out tire/wheel issues. Swap the front wheels to the back and the back to the front. If you notice no change and it still seems to be coming from the front, you can at least rule out tire/wheel issues.
I've had tires with broken/shifted belts that made that sound. Changes with the type of road surface too.

The lack of return to center could be a simple alignment issue, or as previously mentioned, an over-tightened sector shaft preload. Simple enough to back off the adjuster on top of the steering box 1/2 turn temporarily and see if the steering returns to center.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 PM

<slaps forehead>

OP, the previous two posters are right. I don't know why I wasn't thinking of that. Probably because I was screwing around on these forums while I was in the middle of upgrading a file server

Thanks for giving him another good possibility to check, guys!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999

The stiff steering in my '99 was caused by rusted ball joints on the passenger side. My symptoms were identical. The steering asn't sloppy, it just wouldn't return to center after turning and it was stiff to turn.

A local shop told me that the front axle u-joints were bad and I decided to change them, then when I had it apart to remove the front axle shafts, I found the bad ball joints.