Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Cherokee Sport won't start after crash

Old 08-31-2008, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1999 Cherokee Sport won't start after crash

Hi, I have a 1999 jeep Cherokee Sport that was sitting in my driveway while I was watching my drunken chicken cook. Along came a black Mustang through my neighbors yard. Took out his mailbox and proceeded to slide through his lawn and driveway as well as my lawn before hitting my Jeep at about 10mph. Impact was on the passenger wheel. Not much damage to my jeep at all! But it won't start now... Turns over but will not go.

Here's what I already tried, (thinking it's related to possible Fuel safety switch, but later read that this Jeep does not have one?):

Disconnected BOTH battery terminals trying to reset PCM. (no help)
Tore both rear inside panels out looking for reset switch (none there)
Locked Jeep with key, then unlocked with key turning left first then right. (no help)..

Can anyone help with this? TIA!

Last edited by rstone; 08-31-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:09 PM

Default wont start

Mustang hit it mustang pay Get it towed to a dealer and have them go all over it and get it running send his insurance co, the bill!
Old 08-31-2008, 11:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

You file a police report?
Old 08-31-2008, 11:19 PM

Yeah, It was a young kid that let his friend drive it. Appears the guy had no clue how to handle a standard rear wheel drive v8. I thought about just handing it off to the dealer but then started to think about when I was young and thought.... maybe I could fix it myself and give him a break. He could have bolted since I didn't even hear the crash! But he came to the door and fessed up. Got Police report and all info from both kids.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995

Better yet, figure out how to fix it and then come and have him do the work with you supervising.

Yes, I realize I am not providing any help what so ever.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:38 PM

Year: 1988

You only need three things to make your engine run: Compression, fuel, spark at the right time. We can assume there is nothing wrong with the compression since it ran before the accident. That obviously leaves the other two as possible culprits. I would check the spark since that is the easiest. If you have spark, I would check the fuel pump relay to make sure it wasn't jarred loose. If you don't have spark, I don't have any good advice on where to start.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:24 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: strait 6, 4.0 HO

i would say fule pump
Old 09-01-2008, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Are you sure a 99 doesn't have a fuel pump impact cut-off? I don't know what year the Feds started requiring them....
Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by whowey
Are you sure a 99 doesn't have a fuel pump impact cut-off? I don't know what year the Feds started requiring them....
Not 100% positive, but I searched about every place I can think of and came up empty. Been Googling it and can't find anything that tells one way or the other.

Don't think it's the fuel pump since you can hear it click on when turning the ignition on.

Still looking for answers if anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Check relays in PDC (power distribution center) inner fender well on passenger's side.
There MAY be one on the outside, check that one also.

After "attempting" to start it, if you walk around front, do you smell gas fumes?
Check the connector to the coil. The wires get brittle and I have found they tend to break easily.

Other than that, have it checked by a dealer and have the Mustang's insurance company flip the bill. As it was HIS fault.
Heck, if you really wanted to be a stickler..you could get him for tresspassing.

But you shouldn't go that route, as you appear to be "doing him a favor". AND he fessed up and got in touch with you.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:10 PM

Well, took it to the Jeep dealer and sure enough it WAS the fuel pump! I guess I assumed that was not the problem since it appeared you could hear it click on when ignition was turned on.

Dealer installed "After market" pump and it started rough, stalled out or hesitated every left turn. Took it back, they installed another one and it's running fine now. All charges including Enterprise rentals went to their insurance co.

Happy ending! Thanks for all you input..
Old 08-24-2009, 10:18 PM

Default This was so helpful!

I have almost the same exact problem, only mine was hitting a deer at 45mph. We replaced the radiator, timing chain, and it acted like it wanted to turn over but wouldn't. We were told it might be the camshaft (ouch!) but to explore other options so we didn't end up taking the whole engine apart just to find out that wasn't it and we have to buy new gaskets, etc.

Then I came across this suggestion, and it makes sense. So we're going to check the fuel pump. You may have saved us alot of expense and headache, so thank you in advance! Both the Chilton and Haynes manuals had nothing on troubleshooting this problem.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by whowey
my 94 ford explorer had one a friend of mine kicked accidentally setting it off causing me to replace my fuel pump