Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 xj drifts right while braking. New brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1998 xj drifts right while braking. New brakes

I have a 98 xj that I just got done doing brakes on. I did front rotors calipers and pads and rear shoes, cylinders and drums as well as the master. Problem that I am having is that the jeep is drifting to the right when braking. It did this before the brake job as well. The master is new. This jeep does have abs and the abs light is on however will do this both with the abs relay in and with it out. Any suggestions as to what to look at next?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2013, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Sounds like brake hose issue id replace both.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

The brake hose is a good suggestion. Another possibility is steering/suspension parts. I have a 67 Plymouth, and it would pull while braking. The problem turned out to be a loose idler arm.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:25 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by davedude44
I have a 98 xj that I just got done doing brakes on. I did front rotors calipers and pads and rear shoes, cylinders and drums as well as the master. Problem that I am having is that the jeep is drifting to the right when braking. It did this before the brake job as well. The master is new. This jeep does have abs and the abs light is on however will do this both with the abs relay in and with it out. Any suggestions as to whatli toca look at next?

Thanks
Did you get all the air out the system when you changed the calipers and the rear cylinders you my still have some air in the lines I would have the system flushed out to make sure all the air is out. I had the same problem with mine and it solved my braking issues I had.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by jtm01xj
Did you get all the air out the system when you changed the calipers and the rear cylinders you my still have some air in the lines I would have the system flushed out to make sure all the air is out. I had the same problem with mine and it solved my braking issues I had.
This issue was happening before which is part of the reason i re did all of the brakes. I bled everything well, no air bubbles. I just got done replacing both of the brake hoses in the front and still drifts hard to the right when braking.

What else would cause this? Its not just a slight veer its pretty significant. My ball joints are on their way out but arent awful.

They are on my to do list so think I will go ahead and do them tomorrow anyways and see if that has any effect on the problem. I have read about abs causing issues. My jeep does have it and the abs light is on. However with the relay in or out it still does the same thing

Last edited by davedude44; 11-29-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six

I had an issue like that, mine was my tire wasnt properly inflated, it was like 32 psi and the other 3 were 35 psi. I couldnt really notice the lack of air by eye. I felt stupid after figuring it out.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:29 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by davedude44
This issue was happening before which is part of the reason i re did all of the brakes. I bled everything well, no air bubbles. I just got done replacing both of the brake hoses in the front and still drifts hard to the right when braking.

What else would cause this? Its not just a slight veer its pretty significant. My ball joints are on their way out but arent awful.

They are on my to do list so think I will go ahead and do them tomorrow anyways and see if that has any effect on the problem. I have read about abs causing issues. My jeep does have it and the abs light is on. However with the relay in or out it still does the same thing
Were there grooves in knuckles that could be causing caliper not to be able to slide back and forth causing this ? Like this shows....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/xj...rooves-924713/

Last edited by freegdr; 11-30-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:26 AM

One of the brake shoe seems faulty. Replacing them both would be better.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Were there grooves in knuckles that could be causing caliper not to be able to slide back and forth causing this ? Like this shows....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/xj...rooves-924713/
I didnt even look at the knuckles. I will look at them and sand them down this afternoon when doing my ball joints to see if it makes it any better. Good suggestion thanks!

I have all my tires set to 30 psi. The front are different left to right as i popped a tire. May try swapping front to rear and see if that makes a difference as well.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2013, 05:03 PM

Year: 2000

Miss matched tires will do that. Are they atleast the same size? If your front right is smaller it will pull hard to the right like you said. The rolling mass is lighter which will slow down faster then the rest. I know this from experience. Had a flat on driver front of my xj and only had a donut rim. While waiting on my tires in the mail I had to rotate the spare to the rear and have matching fronts. It pulled hard to the driver just like you said.. even if your tires are the same size but are different, they are different and will not act the same
Old 11-30-2013, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by jakecarder
Miss matched tires will do that. Are they atleast the same size? If your front right is smaller it will pull hard to the right like you said. The rolling mass is lighter which will slow down faster then the rest. I know this from experience. Had a flat on driver front of my xj and only had a donut rim. While waiting on my tires in the mail I had to rotate the spare to the rear and have matching fronts. It pulled hard to the driver just like you said.. even if your tires are the same size but are different, they are different and will not act the same
Yeah the tires are both the same size and about the same tread wear.

I am in the middle of doing ball joints right now and the knuckles are definitely grooved pretty well.

Replacing the knuckles looks costly and it is about 20 degrees outside where I am at so am not liking the idea of the junk yard for a part that takes that amount of work to get off.

I am trying to ask around and see if anyone i know or someone in close contact has a welder that would be able to do the fix for me.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Like mentioned, I'd look for play in the steering linkage. Have someone take hold of the wheel and move it while you look for play somewhere. Preferably with it off the ground.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:07 PM

Well I went ahead and fixed the indents on the knuckles but the problem still is there.

I think the next step is swapping wheels to see if that corrects anything.

As far as steering I have replaced the entire system in the last couple months. I did use cheapo parts from advance auto. I will have to check for play. Hopefully the tie rod ends arent all junk and need replaced again.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

It's funny nobody suggested your control arm bushings. Mine were shot and caused wandering under braking during certain conditions. I since have different control arms and it doesn't happen. My old bushings were none existent
Old 12-01-2013, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Id also check for smashed metal brake line maybe restricting flow to other wheel ?

Quick Reply: 1998 xj drifts right while braking. New brakes