Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 jeep Cherokee xj

Old 09-08-2018, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 1998 jeep Cherokee xj

hello everyone I'm new to the site and keeps but I'm mechanically inclined, I have many questions not sure where to start but here goes. My jeep runs and drives fine but its throwing codes for high voltage to fuel level sending sensor, transmission gear selector, torque converter , solinode A stuck off and 02s high voltage any idea where to start ? I was inspecting and cleaning up wiring and ground I found I block on passenger side below the alternator it has 2 ground on it and on bolt in rusted to the bolt it's on and the whole thing spins does anyone know if I take it all the way out if you can thread it back in? you cant see behind it to see if nut is welded or loose. thank you all for your time please help with any ideas
Old 09-08-2018, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Here you go. Just select the code range and it will give you a brief description of what the code is, what the common causes are, and wat might be the cause. It doesnt go into a full diagnoses, tho. But its a start.

https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

The P1718, and P174, do not show up using that website. From what i read elsewhere, its your TCM. Im not sure if thats the cause of your P0705 or not,. That code is for the NSS. It may need disassembled and cleaned and nothing more, but i dont know as i never encountered those other two codes for the TCM. You can find replacements on ebay. Just match the part # with yours. If you still want to test yours, read posts 3 and 4, posted by CCken.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...p1742-1256428/

Look for this, to the right of your right knee, under the dash. Thats the TCM.

Getting the upper screw in, or out of the TCM can be a PITA. To make it easier next time (if it ever needs it), cut a notch in the upper arm of the TCM once its out. Thread the upper screw back in a little so the TCM hang from it. Then put the bottom screw in. That way youre not fighting to get the upper screw started.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 09-08-2018 at 12:28 PM.