Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 Cherokee. What are the most common tune-ups & minor fixes I should look at?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1998 Cherokee. What are the most common tune-ups & minor fixes I should look at?

I bought a 1998 Cherokee Limited 6.0 4L automatic a couple months ago with 175k. It runs OK, but I would like to make some effort to getting it running a little smoother, especially shifting when the engine is cold (a bit delayed at times, gotta give it a big punch of gas to get it to shift up sometimes). I'm not looking for any major work, just some small tune-ups that may improve my performance without breaking the bank. What are some of your best tune-ups/tricks/things to check for??

Here's what I've done so far:

- All Fluids good

- Changed the fuel injectors to the 4 hole bosch, nice improvement.

- Adjusted the TV cable to take out extra slack. slight improvement in throttle response.

Thanks all! This forum has been super helpful for a new, but eager Jeep guy like me!
Old 06-09-2017, 06:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

If i bought a used xj, i'd want to start out with what i know will be a clean slate.
I'd start out by replacing all maints. type ignition parts including spark plugs, wires, etc. Also clean the IAC and throttle body-important.
Change the air filter too.

Even though you checked all fluids, i would still change the engine oil, transfer case fluid, differential fluids and coolant so you know what you've got.
Grease all zerk fittings too.

Might want to also change the tranny fluid.
If its a high mileage xj, you might want to drop the tranny pan to drain or if the tranny pan has a drain plug, drain it that way then refill with fresh fluid.
I personally would not get one of those tranny fluid 'flushes' with a high mileage xj. Just me.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for that! I'm gonna try the IAC/throttle body cleaning in the next couple days. Hopefully that gives a little boost.

Originally Posted by moparado
If i bought a used xj, i'd want to start out with what i know will be a clean slate.
I'd start out by replacing all maints. type ignition parts including spark plugs, wires, etc. Also clean the IAC and throttle body-important.
Change the air filter too.

Even though you checked all fluids, i would still change the engine oil, transfer case fluid, differential fluids and coolant so you know what you've got.
Grease all zerk fittings too.

Might want to also change the tranny fluid.
If its a high mileage xj, you might want to drop the tranny pan to drain or if the tranny pan has a drain plug, drain it that way then refill with fresh fluid.
I personally would not get one of those tranny fluid 'flushes' with a high mileage xj. Just me.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Replace the sway bar bushings and sway bar links on the front. Single biggest improvement in handling. You'll be amazed. I'd go with rubber.

Then motor and trans mounts. Replace them at the same time. Buy good ones. Pick rubber or poly and stick with one--do NOT mix and match. Don't cheap out here, either. It's not a 15 minute job and you don't want to have to replace your store-brand mounts 6 months from now. I'd go OEM for the trans mount and Brown Dog for the engine.

After that I'd check the header for cracks and replace if necessary. The welds at the collector tend to crack. Replace with one from a 99.

That's usually the first things I do when I buy one, after the maintenance items moprado mentioned. Oh, also: flush the coolant.