Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 XJ No Voltage to Coil

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Smile 1996 XJ No Voltage to Coil

hey guys, im an ex member of michigan jeepers, Had many a CJ, YJ and a few Xj's

Recently started my 96 XJ, and after runnning a few it stalled, I killed the battery trying to restart...waited for a jump, after the jump, it restarted and went about a mile, then stalled again and would not restart

I have fuel pressure at the fuel rail, it has the HO 4.0 I can hear the fuel pump, even tried starting fluid in the TB, no luck, got my Voltmeter out and shot the coil, and none of the pins have any voltage with a full charged battery and key on, with the connector disconnected from the coil..
So far swapped the dist with one from a 91 ( connector was the same )
and I swapped the CPS from a 91 ( parts vehicle ) and I had to change the connector as it was different, I left the center pin center, and tried either combination of ways with the outer wires....

Still nothing to the coil, and still wont start...

So now Im thinking PCM or ignition switch but I cannot find a wiring diagram for a 96 XJ to save my life, the Haynes manual is so basic its unreal,

So any help appreciated

Awesome board BTW

Steve
Old 11-26-2009, 11:03 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7 H.O.

Coils are not the same from 91 to 96, I know somebody who tried that not long ago and it didn't work. Find a coil from a 96 to put in for testing, see if it's the coil or the PCM (which might not be telling the coil what to do).

Ignition switch is on the top of the steering column about half way down, my FRM isn't here so I can't tell you which wire does which, but violet (or purple) is usually the culprit

Last edited by sv41878; 11-26-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:33 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

The coil gets its voltage on the dark green/orange wire from the positive bus in the power distribution center under the hood via 2 fuses and the ASD relay (all in the power distribution center). Assuming that the replacement CPS is OK, check the fuses and swap the ASD with a known good relay. If still no voltage to the coil, the PCM starts to become suspect. Check the 60 pin connector on the PCM (both sides) for corrosion, damaged pins, etc. first. If the Jeep starts after disconnecting and reconnecting the PCM connector you may or may not be OK yet. Removing power to the PCM will cause it to "reset"...if the problem comes back in a day or two then the PCM is probably bad.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:00 PM

Smile Sweet

Ill check that wire and reset the connectors, appreciate will update soon

thanx guys
Steve
Old 11-29-2009, 11:27 AM

Unhappy UpDate Frustrated lol

OK, apparantly no where on the web, can I find a fuse box diagram and or a wiring diagram for a 96 cherokee, so I guess Ill have to pay 125 dollars to get one

I have no power at the Mini Fuse in the PDC the lower right of 6, and on the fuse box 9 and 19 have NO voltage to either side, I feel like im searching in the dark, irritating as hell

Swapped the ASD relay, no fix, reset connectors, no fix, its something simple, the one BASIC wiring diagram in the BS Haynes manual, shows voltage from the coil comes directly fron the alternater, and ties in with the ECM, that makes no sense

logic would dictate it has to go from the ign switch, to the PDC to the coil, and is controlled to fire by the ECU

So ill keep searching I guess, thanx for you help anyhow

Steve
Old 11-29-2009, 12:27 PM

Year: 1991

OK...the mini fuse in the PDC you refer to is probably #16 (20A)...it feeds fuse #9 (10A) on the fuse block which does a lot of interior lighting. Fuse #19 on the fuse block is for the instrument dimmer line. None of this is directly related to your problem.

PDC battery positive bus feeds fuse#2 (30A) (maxi) which feeds the PCM B+, the fuel pump relay, and PDC fuse #14 (20A) which feeds the ASD relay which feeds (among other things) the dark green/ orange wire to the coil. In other words, you want to check fuses 2 & 14 in the PDC. Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by Steve340
OK, apparantly no where on the web, can I find a fuse box diagram and or a wiring diagram for a 96 cherokee, so I guess Ill have to pay 125 dollars to get one

I have no power at the Mini Fuse in the PDC the lower right of 6, and on the fuse box 9 and 19 have NO voltage to either side, I feel like im searching in the dark, irritating as hell

Swapped the ASD relay, no fix, reset connectors, no fix, its something simple, the one BASIC wiring diagram in the BS Haynes manual, shows voltage from the coil comes directly fron the alternater, and ties in with the ECM, that makes no sense

logic would dictate it has to go from the ign switch, to the PDC to the coil, and is controlled to fire by the ECU

So ill keep searching I guess, thanx for you help anyhow

Steve

PM me an email and I will send you a wiring diagram that may help.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:19 PM

OK, I did some more troubleshooting today, I also compared to another jeep, you are supposed to have 12vdc at the coil connector, ( unplugged ) with the key in the on position, I removed the ASD and its getting voltage in, I ohhmed the wire from the asd to the coil wire, and to the first connector, its good, I have to shoot from the asd clear to the coil tomorrow, so its all about the power to the coil, so now once I get a print, I need to ,look at the input signal, maybe its a freaking ignition switch, or maybe I have a bad wire.... this is really getting frustrating lol

Steve
Old 01-04-2010, 05:06 PM

Still AFU
Bought a 96 FSM which helps with the diagrams, so looking at it it said the yellow wire from the ignition switch #7 Replaced Ignition switch, because I have 12VDC at ALL connectors on it, still no voltage to coil, replaced CPS, had someone turn key to Start and got voltage at the Starter relay socket in the PDC, however the thing won't even rotate by the key, but you can jump the solonoid with a screwstick and get it to turn, but still wont fire...

Unfreaking real man

s