Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport - won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Sweet @$$ straight 6
Default 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport - won't start

Greetings! I joined a LONG time ago and even posted an intro but it was many, many moons ago.

I come seeking your help! I have a 96 Cherokee Sport. Last Tuesday, went to leave work, got the dog loaded up, jumped in and turned the key. The engine cranks but won't catch. Thought maybe it needed a jump so a co-worker used his car but no start.
We thought perhaps it was the fuel pump relay but that was fine. The pump primes when you turn the key to the start position. And she will NOT start with fuel directly into the manifold..
Replaced the coil and coil wire. No start.
Now we are thinking perhaps it is the crankshaft sensor. The gentleman who was helping with the coil and such is not terribly dependable so told the SO yesterday that I need him to check that. He said later that it is in a very difficult place to get to and wants to drag MY baby down to his pop's car lot. I am not real interested in that for a myriad of reasons and was wondering... is it really in that hard a place to get to? God, I would SO much rather pull it myself than for the dad's mechanic to take her all the way up there (25+ miles?)
So, can anyone tell me just HOW hard it is to get to? I'll frak up my nails...no worries..

Thanks!!!!!

O:] Angel
Old 08-14-2014, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

It's in a tough spot but definitely doable with some patience. Extentions and a universal joint will be your friend.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:03 AM

Year: 1984
Engine: 4 cyl

Yep, I usually buy several various length extensions and keep them in the tool box along with some wobble universal joints, and then a couple wobble sockets (the socket it permanently attached to the wobble joint). that, plus a good LED flashlight with a broad pattern makes it much easier to get to hard to reach areas.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

It's a fiddle, but do-able. I'ts up on the bellhousing, and you will need to approach it from the back. So thats where the extensions come in handy.

If all else fails, I came across some info on the net, about gaining excess to the CPS through the floor board....a bit drastic, but hey, at least it means you can have a plan B.
Will see if I can find the link.

However, what I would verify first in a no-start situation, is whether you have no spark, no fuel, or both (or bad timing, which is not on top of the list) because this will give you an idea where to look and check, before replacing parts.
And yes, the CPS is a known item to fail at some point.

Last edited by Roler; 08-15-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:30 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I had a similar issue with mine a few months ago. My problem was a bad ECM. The ECM wasn't energizing the auto shut-down relay, which didn't allow power to the ign. coil.