Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport overheating still

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter Straight 6
Default 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport overheating still

We bought a Jeep Cherokee a couple of days ago. Since then it has started overheating. We have replaced the t-stat, the fan sensor, and are in the process of changing the water pump (even though it looks new, I've read on here that if the water pump is cycling the wrong way it can cause overheating, and the guy that had it before us doesn't seem like too much of a mechanic & it's possible we have the wrong cycling one). We left the cap off when we added fluid so I don't think it's an air bubble in there. We are also getting and installing a new clutch fan today. If these steps don't work, where do we go from here?

Thanks in advance for any help we get.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:31 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

only thing left is the radiator. In all of this work, i would just purchase a water heater and get that changed as well.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:33 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by jeepcherokeefam
We bought a Jeep Cherokee a couple of days ago. Since then it has started overheating. We have replaced the t-stat, the fan sensor, and are in the process of changing the water pump (even though it looks new, I've read on here that if the water pump is cycling the wrong way it can cause overheating, and the guy that had it before us doesn't seem like too much of a mechanic & it's possible we have the wrong cycling one). We left the cap off when we added fluid so I don't think it's an air bubble in there. We are also getting and installing a new clutch fan today. If these steps don't work, where do we go from here?

Thanks in advance for any help we get.
First..., Hi and welcome to CF from Tj in NJ.
Second.. your doing all the right things to get it to work.
You may want to check the belt to see if its turning the Pump in the right direction.
There should be a little black/orange sticker on the fan shroud with the proper way to have it installed...Tj

Last edited by TrekkerJmm; 03-14-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Could be something simple.
Have you checked the oil levels or done an oil change yourself? Sometimes thats something that people overlook and could deffinately cause some over heating if you've got low oil.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 HO

I been having issues here also. I have new water pump, thermostat housing, thermostat, and hoses. Minus a radiator everything is new. I run a bottle of water wetter thru it also. I have a dual eletric fan setup wired in with the ignition switch for constant cooling. Still run at almost 240 degrees. What would help this? I flushed my radiator and all is good there. What's the next step?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:57 PM

Default Ok, here is what we've done...

The water pump is now new, we changed the oil, we are taking it for a test run to see if the temp stays down. After that, we are going to get the radiator flushed tomorrow. I'll post if any of that helps. It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't live in the mountains but driving up and down like we do, that temp gauge was climbing like anything. Hopefully we've made progress...I'll let everyone know. Thanks again for all of your suggestions and I'll keep you posted on the status.

Also, TJ, I think unfortunately our sticker that has the fan installation instructions is the one that is totally rubbed off, so no help there. But hopefully we can get this thing going...I've missed having a Jeep and can't wait to get it back in shape.

Last edited by jeepcherokeefam; 03-14-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 H.O. Police Package

I drive in mountains all the time and i have a cracked radiator. idk maybe i'm lucky but mine doesn't overheat. A 3 core radiator would help any over heat problem i'm sure.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepman659
I drive in mountains all the time and i have a cracked radiator. idk maybe i'm lucky but mine doesn't overheat. A 3 core radiator would help any over heat problem i'm sure.
Well, we just bought this thing and are slowly figuring out all of the stuff that isn't right. All of the other times we've owned Jeeps it's been in FL flatland. The biggest hill to go over was a sand dune.

We're flushing the radiator tomorrow and hopefully that will help. The guy that had this before just didn't keep up with some stuff. Great sound system...but the rear brakes I don't think had ever been done, the front left rotor was so grooved it looked like an old LP record. So we're slowly getting it right.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:04 PM

When you replaced the t-stat did you drill a tiny hole in the plate if there was not already one there?

Is your overflow working properly?

Does running the heat on high change the over heating?

have you inspected the radiator fins?

If your getting it flushed make sure they have a machine they have applies pressure. The cheapo one's drain and fill and rely on the cars water pump to flush.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:39 PM

Year: 2000

i had the same problem about 5 months ago it was the fan clutch....(i was able to stick my finger in the fan at 3k rpms and i still have all my fingers)
Old 03-14-2010, 11:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

I had the same prob with my first xj I was about to pull my hair out. Turned out to be a really stubborn air bubble. I jacked up the rear about 8-10in pulled out the rear temp sensor and let a half gallon go through. Ya it took that much. But never had a prob agean.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:58 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I had a 90 that had a problem with this. You probably know this but make sure your heat is on high when trying to blead the air off the cooling system that should help with trapped air you can also add a flushing T in the heater line to fill the system with a garden hose. Now on my 97 I was having an issue and found that my electric fan was not kicking on. You should also do a pressure check on your cooling system this is a good way to check for early signs of a blown head gasket which can produce a overheat issue.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by 97xjjoe
I had a 90 that had a problem with this. You probably know this but make sure your heat is on high when trying to blead the air off the cooling system that should help with trapped air you can also add a flushing T in the heater line to fill the system with a garden hose. Now on my 97 I was having an issue and found that my electric fan was not kicking on. You should also do a pressure check on your cooling system this is a good way to check for early signs of a blown head gasket which can produce a overheat issue.
it also helps to fill it thru the thermostat housing. Works good for me
Old 03-15-2010, 08:00 AM

Default Well, what we did helped a little

But when we got down in there, it looks like the battery leaked onto the radiator and there are some fins missing so we're off to get a new radiator....keep you posted.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6 H.O.

Originally Posted by brutalxj
I had the same prob with my first xj I was about to pull my hair out. Turned out to be a really stubborn air bubble. I jacked up the rear about 8-10in pulled out the rear temp sensor and let a half gallon go through. Ya it took that much. But never had a prob agean.
+1

air bubbles and fan clutches are always the problem with my xj, and once it was a bad Autozone t-stat

Quick Reply: 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport overheating still