Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 Cherokee auto-1st gears sluggish/just not right... unless manually shifted?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0HO
Default 1996 Cherokee auto-1st gears sluggish/just not right... unless manually shifted?

so I just bought a 1996 Cherokee, mint 95k original miles!...the transmition was obviously not right during test drive, pulling out of the parking spot she felt really sluggish in 1st gear is like something was holding her back, she was low on fluid so I added a quart but still same thing "needs trans pan gasket bad" , trans was topped off during next test drive but same thing starting off in drive, so I manually shifted her and she shifted fine, my 1st gear was now nice and torqy and shifted into second fine,then 3rd, etc...I noticed the shift indicator by the shifter on the center consol was a litttle bit off, it sat between drive and Neutral but like I said if I just manually shift it its fine...maybe stretched shift cable?...something with the linkage is off?...Something cheap/easy hopfully lol...please help, thanks!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:02 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

May be in the TCM or possably a transmission shift solenoid going bad, have you pulled codes off obd, this could help.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:22 AM

Try adjusting your TV cable.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 AM

I bought a Craftsman OBD2&1 scanner today for $325 from Sears. Tested my Jeep and no codes???..this scanner devise is new to me so maybe I am not using it properly but Im pretty sure I did everything right...if I have time tomorrow Im going to pull her onto the ramps and take a hard look underneath and hopfully find something. The scanner has a transmition option too that scans the trans but when I put it on it said please wait while we check...5 minutes later I pulled it back off because it wasnt doing anything, it just said please wait so I tryed again and same thing. How long am I supposed to wait?...I figured 5 minutes was plenty of time
Old 08-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Sluggish?

Torque Converter? Any slippage?
Old 08-12-2010, 05:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

Just my opinion...but I'd take the scanner back and save the $325 for a transmission (which should cost about $200) just in case.

Meanwhile, I'd do some research on how XJ transmissions shift from 1st to 2nd. Is it by solonoid?

I don't think cable stretch (my F350 pickup has it bad) could affect how the trans behaves once Drive has been engaged. I know almost nothing about transmissions, though. What I do know is everyone says XJ auto's are bombproof. On the other hand...when I bought mine, it came with a $2500 receipt from AMCO for a rebuild in 1996 and a spare trans and Tcase in the cargo trunk.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000

sounds like its in limp mode. Your starting off in second gear. some of the generic obd readers will not give trans codes. you may have to find someone with a real scanner to check it out. I would say that its possibly a solenoid. If the previous owner had been driving it low on oil and starting in second gear, you may be looking for another trans
Old 08-12-2010, 09:00 PM

ok so today I put a new trans filter and pan gasket on with fresh fluid, I then took her for a test drive but same thing.She is starting off in second gear it feels like, so I manually shifted her and she drove fine and shifted great like before so same thing nothings changes I was hoping the cracked pan gasket was throwing off the pressure causing the problem but it wasnt that easy. I also checked the kickdown cable but there didnt seem to be any visual problem there I had my buddy put the pedal to the floor while jeep was off and it went back and forth all the way...I tryed turning the key on-off-on-off-etc in order to retrieve some codes but it came up 55 which from what I am reading means there are no codes. My Craftsman OBD2&1 scanner also picked up no codes, I tryed the transmition option on the scanner but it just said "please wait" for about 5 minutes before I became impatient and repeated the process again but same screen popped up?...Am I supposed to give it more time, or am I supposed to have the vehicle running for that test?...So now that I am this far with a little more info does anybody have a better hypothesis on what it could be?...Im no trans expert but I cant imagine it being anymore than an easy electrical component gone bad, should I be more concerned maybe I need to replace the trans???...anymore test you guys can think that could help narrow it down?...any tips would be greatly appreciated I need her back on the road asap
Old 08-14-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 94 cherokee is doing the same thing. I hope it is a simple fix as well. I cant see it needing a trans because it shifts fine manually.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1996

My XJ did this before, the ignition switches are pretty common on 96 to get real hot and melt. I have put two in mine, over the 12 years I have owned it. The trans would do the same thing, but you can still shift it manually.....may be something to look at.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:40 AM

yeah JuicedCoupe if your Jeep's doin the same thing than your probably in luck cause I just went to the junkyard got all three solenoids just incase, got home tested them by pulling the harness off the TCU "which it located under the passangers side dash" with a multimeter and found #2 solenoid bad. Replaced it and she shifts beautiful now!!!...usaully things arent that easy but it was and it felt great Im a new man!...thanks for the help everybody you should all pat yourselfs on the back, good Karma coming your way now, golden showers of campain will rain from the skys for you guys!...