Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1995 xj for $200

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1995 xj for $200

Here are the details
-automatic
-dead transmission
-4x4
-missing front drivesaft (she said she got it like that)

My friend checked it out for me and said it will need a new t-case since it is probably dry (no driveshaft connecting it to front diff). He said it might need a new front axle since the diff might be dry also.

I made an offer of $200 and she said yes. I can pick it up this weekend. I am new to jeeps but not new to cars. I am planning on doing a manual swap and replacing t-case and front driveshaft. I can do all the labor myself and it wont be a problem.

How much money am i looking into for parts? I saw that a manual transmission swap could cost around $500 for all the parts. What about the front shaft? Do you think this is worth it?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You're going to have to look up the cost of parts on your own. Prices change so much between bone yard to bone yard. Don't be lazy, do your own leg work.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:50 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

why would the transfercase and axle be dry because the drive shaft is out. that shouldnt happen. ive taken my drive shaft out and rode around with out it. they should be ok
Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 H.O

your transfercase and differential will not leak with the driveshaft out. the transfercase is a fixed yolk for the front, and the axle is too. as long as someone for some reason didnt drain them, then the tc and axle should be perfectly fine. other than that. that sounds like a good deal. you can get a used trans for cheap. 300 or so, and a driveshaft should be like 40 buck. sounds like a good deal to me
Old 04-28-2010, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

id say go for it, and like the previous posters touched upon there should be no reason the TCase or axle would be "dry."

i find it best to not listen to what friends say, waste of money

good luck!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:21 AM

thanks guys. i havent really been under a jeep before so thats why i had my friend check it out. Ill take a final glance friday and make my decision. Most likely i will buy it.

Is there a reason people remove the front driveshaft?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: LEAKY NOISY 4.0

The only reasons i know of are a) if something is messed up or b) better gas mileage but who cares its a jeep for $200 bucks! I would buy as many as i could for that price!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:42 AM

If you have enough budget you can use to fix those problems then go for it...
Old 04-29-2010, 04:35 AM

Year: 1996 two-door SE
Default manual swap

$200 is a no-brainer, but you'll not know the true extent of the drive train serviceability until you get the transmission to pull and replace the driveshaft.

I do have a question about the reason for a manual transmission swap. I have an AW4 with 225,000+ miles on it that has only ever required a regular drain and refill. I've always heard the the automatics are preferable on the trails, but that may be subjective. Have you considered a reman unit with a cooler?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

what's wrong with the tranny that's in it? if it's shifting pattern is messed up, they may think the tranny is bad, but in reality, it's most likely the TPS or TCU. or it could be as simple as the inline fuse to the TCU.

i'd buy it and start with those before pulling the tranny.

also, i too agree the auto tranny is better for wheeling. i have both, and even tho i'm good with a standard, i still like the auto for wheeling.

if the tranny is bad, get a junkyard unit for cheap and do an easy replacement.
getting into a standard swap means you need a pilot bearing in the end of the crank, if it has the provision for one, then you need all the linkage, pedals, different drive shafts, floor/console mod, etc. etc.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by 96tudor
$200 is a no-brainer, but you'll not know the true extent of the drive train serviceability until you get the transmission to pull and replace the driveshaft.

I do have a question about the reason for a manual transmission swap. I have an AW4 with 225,000+ miles on it that has only ever required a regular drain and refill. I've always heard the the automatics are preferable on the trails, but that may be subjective. Have you considered a reman unit with a cooler?
im still considering but leaning more towards the manual. My friend has an XJ (all i know its late 90s.. forgot what year) and he has a reman transmission and its already acting up. Manuals are just simpler and more fun
Old 04-29-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by caged
what's wrong with the tranny that's in it? if it's shifting pattern is messed up, they may think the tranny is bad, but in reality, it's most likely the TPS or TCU. or it could be as simple as the inline fuse to the TCU.

i'd buy it and start with those before pulling the tranny.

also, i too agree the auto tranny is better for wheeling. i have both, and even tho i'm good with a standard, i still like the auto for wheeling.

if the tranny is bad, get a junkyard unit for cheap and do an easy replacement.
getting into a standard swap means you need a pilot bearing in the end of the crank, if it has the provision for one, then you need all the linkage, pedals, different drive shafts, floor/console mod, etc. etc.
I will difinitely check out the simpler things first.

And i recently did a manual swap on an infiniti J30 which never came with a manual. Im prepared to do all kinds of work to the jeep. Ill probably get all junkyard parts including interior stuff.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:50 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

MT tranys are so much easier to fix as well. there a slave that crush before you brake gears. put a 2 disk clutch in it, and your just about golden. got one for mine, and with limited slip deffs right one im claiming up hills and over rocks like the guys the lockers around here for the most part. the power is there my tires just need to hook is all
Old 04-29-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Ltr I6

i say still check the tranny valve cable for adjustment, TPS before you replace the tranny.

i bought my jeep for 700 bucks because it apparently had a tranny issue. i bought it, took it around the corner, popped the hood, and adjusted the tranny valve cable and it shifted just fine and i havent had any tranny issues since.

the cable is connected to the throttle body and basically opens up a valve in the transmission depending on your throttle position. its simple to adjust. you press in a button on the top that holds the sleeve in place and move it to the stopper on the cable. then continue holding the button down and while holding it down move the throttle to wide open position and let go of the botton. it automatically resets itself to factory default and you will no longer have shifting issues. if the TPS is adjusted correctly

my jeep would shift WAY to early and bog down the engine and it wouldnt down shift. all because of that cable being out of adjusted.

the TPS wasnt adjusted either. but all that did was make the torque converter unlock and lock while cuasting at one speed.

doing this adjustment takes not 30 seconds and could make a world of difference. i believe every member on here should do it every months. i do it and it keeps my jeep running great.

also this could make it so your cherokee is in drivable condition while you search for parts to do the swap.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:46 PM

Thanks for the help guys

UPDATE:
Just talked to the owner of the jeep and she said she wants $400 for it. She had already agreed to $200 yesterday. So then i said i will give her $250 then she said $500. Thats childish to me and poor business ethics. I am going to pass on this jeep unless she calls me back. Then i will say $150

Quick Reply: 1995 xj for $200